• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ARB bullbar install

djmones

NAXJA Forum User
Ok...so I'm confused more than anything.

ARB bullbar bumper for the Cherokee, does anyone have an actual walkthrough as to how the plates attach to the framerails.

The chassis rails measure 83CM outside to outside no matter if the early or facelift model
The track rails on the ARB measure 65cm and they are supposed to just fit over the chassis rail and bolt on.

So no amount of math whatsoever can make up for 3.5 inches each side...doesn't happen. ARB tells me the ARB bumper for the early Cherokee comes with a chassis mount/arm that looks like (they cant seem to find a diagram of it) that bevels outwards for the early Cherokee that holds the bumper. But its not compatible with the facelift model? And the facelift model does not use the chassis mount arms included but utilises a nutsert to hold the bumper.

I must be missing something here

Here are my pics

I'm at a total loss

If you can forgive the mess and the miscellaneous parts, these are the mounts that came with my ARB for my 91:

WPp4689y7Z0nbq_GVX72R2VRtvlsEOUTwNxZlvaRSGThKVaQdqhycSjwG4dNQypwCy8TWUBhmoldKCMXWu_kV_8zJFZhqsIXFgnftXbWGOi_uV49XZitgtBcdGv9PEym_9iTJgnl2zR_H3MsPgl9EUfTld8bBLRvt-mDUVXiGWpoQC9w5bfYStyQiOK2z8ifYXJLyFfIfg6OXra6EJBJtuPafdgOMLBnvdicMlWZqo9ClN447naahplx_Y0KcfFG2nxLXFZgEKftzZ3hvztTDs9KQ0e0IbvhLcg8jxgOk1Is5cs1kP1mmqCb9Saoo7p5g9Hr-pa9uYV7p17rYsa5WhKPi6MSSuBdPHe4IDcvnnsGwKVwcS53ktI3HJIUs8xiiMgO2RFUqw8s9ps8dbOFxO5DqAC6wyfKpaKLdl2Fca5NjYKckUhSBfZxVh7qt8aEDyXZr_aaxQobJXzdnVJyeB5bkc_ZBsCetGAv_DXckCWAVmfkOJpsD1sPGbV-UUp9F2BlMCL_eoZw-ih4Otxj34hcZIYdilnq7L-ycqKxrPmepuW3FvHiEnFuTQ2y7WlGJ88U=w718-h404-no

jyfZx6LG7tx88jlC0EUe3OAmgJKEFupigUMDDrQtggjaXlAYgoo7bwxdHyIE12xQv1We4QPlh_0mgJNX3twcLpHLeCvzPKGYvxxGAPGbna_ReCvU92jIGJw1ZlqflbA3DeC7KCUokEUjyEf48uOuZfRB6ne-SIvQRf9M6DtJnYSJMlv4HVFz4J_24QWyuQZkhqgj3FTaxmuFdDMKEEebZanxO9tk53McjsQ8X0QFrqqvNipRQF7faYN8tJeE5V_j3B9GoMEko0pzjjnouN4GCR9cZ30FBLMys4G2TAh-osXVVxvOVwyFlrMZpHCxsHrTMNZTqtFqsZXIcVAzsRrHiP1NwhLV3egQ_WTaKOv3a60bDK5m_GoQhSHRhDxWhs_Nf3Su9jwxvZ07_EstQQXWxy-TUVDwrae5cONAtnq7W2cjhbXArOS7FQNtzkoyqy75W4VzU2vfOOBTYJ-FgFIHvelyiWfyRd8xI30ces0WNkbq58FG1zXmTDQE0hlehLUzBNyr13i5drPrWRpdvO69Ra_zYhewtNYdwCCUP4alutfeZxkjSb8hjZkzuleJ8bNH7Asq=w1702-h957-no

MyR4A4FB67_Xrc-ok9jCcux2Hab0lnApUGI3PprrcKdkbJgCdND7zjyeONAIzGBibxr-9toTuGl2KbzgVZErFpwfWAe_VQg7XVhqsBtwZkoOJ9GToeDQKVUPoIxxWQwlAKFw195_uI_gIgIPejfYeym-jgfl07apDABrrO_7pRCE3zNCAYyxjX6l_RWI0SlQx9V_Jl_9vmCj76TVp8llG9yD-bROsEiBr7UW9OB8HgiBEKcqO8gc7HqR6I-VnuTEXpTiZpLhTxnEKqSjCAC2Vn4WW6PMmhvtagUD3ac84XQXKrokbldfrVTwfWDovgU1_xfaVC3J9eE1Iobpt9wl28R3NJEBkA5pgV1iwBGqcWK-QIUQOmRhTy0_8siDPT3XWFBe4e71u7PlBTYEkTWiT6H5B8YnxODXltVAB9TpglyXGooUSTEcEZRGkwozTckyekzyaBxx2Ubu0hyimQnQNsyJgYHUxqXLoaB_rRlB27BV2Tbvhjyi8NvYoX-Erst0Yq0HN8YqqDk5UOgy-4RoRZZR7_xIeEs6nIkqjc4KDsIQXSC9_F-qlCP6nfyIzUc0JMdB=w1702-h957-no

It sounds like you're missing some parts.

I have the late model ARB and was told the only difference was the "wings" under the fender. Looking at those pictures, they changed the mounting as well for sure.

I have the late model ARB and was told the only difference was the "wings" under the fender. Looking at those pictures, they changed the mounting as well for sure.

Yeah...that's what I'm thinking. I had to ring OZ ARB as Washington hadn't a clue at all. It seems to be one of the following:

1. ARB Mark I XJ...the earlier model bumper which takes a bracket only sold with the earlier part number
a. I have a query that ARB is researching as I have a friend who has a Mark I Cherokee and the frame rails and the holes are the same. If the brackets are compatible then they should allow this one to mount, however if that is the case...why 2 separate part numbers for the ARB bumper for Mark I and Mark II Cherokee?
2. Its an ARB for the ZJ as they look quite similar
3. Its an ARB for the Toyoya 60 series Cruiser as that is the only other one that looks the same.

I did some looking on ARB USA's website and found the install instructions for the 97-01 XJ's and it does indeed show a different bracket:

http://store.arbusa.com/Assets/PDF/3450080i.pdf

I have no idea why the bracket is different unless there was some accessory that got moved or they needed to do something different for the airbag? I don't see any reason why the brackets would not be interchangeable between the 2 generations because to the best of my knowledge nothing changed in that part of the chassis. As a side note, my brackets came with some shims to help center the bumper and account for any variations in the chassis, but that's the least of your problems right now.

As for it possibly not being an XJ bumper, the pictures you showed are not for a ZJ (the ZJ didn't have the lower headlight tubes) and I doubt the FJ60 Cruiser bumper would even come close to fitting an XJ since it is a much bigger vehicle.

As for the light cutouts, those were indeed on both generations of the bumper and if you are looking to fill them I recommend looking for some aftermarket LED units from a MKI/MKII VW Golf instead of the factory ARB lights. As soon as I put my XJ back together that's my plan.

The airbag sensors are in the cab, so that wouldn't be the reason for the change

Back