• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 30 LP internals/ axles into HP D30?

91Heep

NAXJA Forum User
I have a '91 XJ in stock form with 3.07 gear ratio.
I can buy a complete '96 ZJ front axle for a decent price with 3.73 ratio.

I'd like to have non disconnect axles and a lower ratio carrier for my axle.
Will any of the differential parts interchange from the newer low pinion axle to mine?

The only reason I'm considering this is that XJ parts are rare as rocking horse poop in my area.

Lp and hp gears are cut differently so you can't just swap them in. Even if you could they require setup.

I knew the R&P wouldn't swap, was thinking the carrier may have been possible.
I recon it wouldn't do me any good to get the axle then.
Thanks for the info fella's.

Everything will swap except the gears. The carriers are indeed the same, and the ZJ being 373s will have a 4 series carrier if you ever want to go lower.

With that, if you are considering using the ZJ housing, I wouldn't recommend it. They are indeed low pinion so strength is compromised. Also the earlier ZJ housings use a standard D30 gear (CJ for example), while the later ones use a TJ Gear (shorter pinion).

Everything will swap except the gears. The carriers are indeed the same, and the ZJ being 373s will have a 4 series carrier if you ever want to go lower.

With that, if you are considering using the ZJ housing, I wouldn't recommend it. They are indeed low pinion so strength is compromised. Also the earlier ZJ housings use a standard D30 gear (CJ for example), while the later ones use a TJ Gear (shorter pinion).
Well the carrier and axleshafts/stubs are the main things I am interested in off of the axle.
My jeep has an ax-15 and I have purchased some 33" LTB's so I'm needing to regear and want to get rid of my current CAD setup.
My CAD works flawlessly but the 33x13.50 LTB is alot of tire to carry.
As far as u-joints, mine is an ABS model so it has decent size as is.
I'm not yet familiar with the disconnect mechanism to know if it's really a weak point or not.

ZJ has a weak cv axle shaft, not a u-joint shaft. Nothing there worth anything to you.

Yeah, not all have CVs and those that don't will have the larger 760 joints.
The long side shaft can indeed be used to eliminate the CAD using the proper seal behind the carrier in the housing.

The non CAD housings have no such seal nor even a place for a seal. Yukon and other places sell CAD removal kits consisting of a gasket and a flat plate to replace the actuator. I have found at times around here that HP30 axles are hard to find, then spring comes and they start popping up. You may try to wait if out if you haven't been looking for long.

Is this seal a factory part for non CAD housings thay I can just install into mine?

It's not a factory part, but I'll try to remember to look at the part numbers today at work... can't remember them off the top of my head. There are two seal sizes depending on what year your 30 is as they used two slightly different inner tube diameters.

md21722 is correct in that there is no stock location for that seal, you just need to set it flush inside the passenger side tube.
As for the block off plate in the full kit, it really isn't needed. I've done quite a few one piece conversions and simply reinstalled the CAD housing.

Back