• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

valve covers?

jmg222

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
My chrome valve covers (unsurprisingly) have started to corrode and have gotten beaten up from only a few trips out to the trail --
I'm thinking of getting these for my sbc Cherokee--- anyone else have experience w/ aluminum valve covers(s)? how well do they stand up on the trail?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/pro-141-130

not so much problems, but more along the lines of how well do they hold up... I could always just spend more money and get black crinkle, or less money and get crappy stock painted covers... my experience is that chrome sucks and will rust/pit under any sort of abuse, but aluminum tends to last longer. but I have little experience with polished aluminum + mud.

I think they look pretty damn good -- hopefully they don't get destroyed on the trail like the chrome ones did :)
8xtrhc.jpg

adz1cg.jpg

Last edited:
How did your valve covers get beat up from the trail?

the previous ones were crap with a thin chrome, and rusted to hell from the mud and the water. Though, thinking trough it more, they probably would have corroded without the trail :)

Keep them clean. Maybe a coat of polish every now and then?

the previous ones were crap with a thin chrome, and rusted to hell from the mud and the water. Though, thinking trough it more, they probably would have corroded without the trail :)

That would be my take. I don't think the trail use would make much difference for a valve cover. Thin garbage steel and a poorly done finish would be a greater factor.

Back