• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rough Country Control Arm Drop Brackets

5150caz

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys I'm at a loss and need help. I bought RC drop brackets for my jeep and installed. Once the I got the brackets on I noticed the passenger side coil spring is bowing in the middle to the front like the caster is off and hitting my sway bar and the upper bump stop is touching the back side of the spring (that's how much its bowing). The driver side is perfect, straight up and down, upper bump stop is in the middle. My control arms are Rubicon Express none adjustable (same length as stock arms top and bottom). What the heck could cause this? My dana 30 has the vacuum disconnect so I was thinking, could the axle tube on the passenger side have twisted in the housing? When I bought the jeep 10 years ago the guy said it was hit on the passenger side but there was no frame damage and is was only the fender and tire hit. Please help.

How much lift and what control arms?

4.5 rubicon express lift and control arms with 1-3/4" coil spacer. I figure around 5-1/4" of lift because of the bumper and winch. It sat pretty level with this set up before putting the drop brackets. The front may have been a little higher but not by much. I was looking over everything and maybe I need to put more of those alignment shoes or shims behind the lower control arm to fix the caster? I'll try this tomorrow but if anyone else has some ideas it will be much appreciated.

Is this a change in height such that your track bar is now shifting things off center?

Best guess I can offer without having been there.

Try rotating the spring. The bottom of the spring is not *flat* per se, the cut end of the bottom of the coil is the *long* side and causes the spring to bow away from it. I never got around to putting retaining clips on my perches when I changed my axles and have to spin the springs now and then when they start hitting things. It's not a lot but it can make a difference.
Also I'd say you are closer to 6.5"+ on the front right now with the springs being new.

As of right now the jeep is on jack stands with wheels off and track bar disconnected. I tried disconnecting everything and just having the control arm bolts hand tight and track bar completely disconnected and let the axle just hang where it wants so nothing was binding or pulling.

Sorry I should have mentioned that the lift is about 10 years old but only has about 20,000 miles on it. I was noticing the front was really starting to sag compared to the back and I didn't like the way it was looking that's why I went with the spacers and then decided to get the drop brackets when I saw the angle of the arms.

I think I remember seeing that those drop brackets move the axle forward, don't they? If so, that could be why your coil is now bowing when it wasn't without the brackets.

i started with the RE 4.5" lift and later added rough country drop brackets...

i moved both of the castor adjusters as far forward as possible in the slot. i dont remember the numbers, but it rode well without any driveline vibrations.

Back