• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best pads and rotors for d30 and ZJ rear disc conversion

dan1977p

NAXJA Forum User
I just did the disc brake swap with 98 zj parts on the rear and now I can at least lock up the rears on sandy pavement. Pedal is still a bit softer than I want but it doesn't feel much different than my wifes 2013 Sport wagen TDI on the pedal. What does feel different is the amount of grab I get between the pads and rotor.
I don't drive a race car nor do I use my brakes in any of the mountains here enough to justify slotted rotors but if I have to buy into that gimmick to get the right material rotor to match the pads, I will.
It stops really well now, but I've never had a vehicle where I couldn't lock up the brakes or activate the abs. I know there is more stopping power in there and I'd like to have it just in case.
I also already have the ZJ booster, master and combo valve with no leaks. I think I got some air in the MC when doing the rears since it went dry and I haven't bench bled it yet. Also haven't gotten the e-brake tight enough either but that shouldn't have anything to do with my question.

I've always just used the "house brand" pads and rotors from Advance Auto. I believe they are called Wearever.

Works fine for me.

Define "Best" ?

Most auto parts stores sell cheap brakes, inexpensive brakes, and good brakes. I always buy good brakes, they work better and last longer.

Agree with everyone else. I did the swap and didn't get picky about brand or quality. I got the middle of the quality spectrum as well.

After reading people's review on the upgrade I feel like there is a 50/50 of people where it didn't meet their expectation and the other are happy. I am satisfied for the maintenance aspect but my performance with a stock 92 booster and the ZJ prop valve it isn't anything special. I can only lock any of my brakes when I really slam on it like a SOB on 33s. It takes a lot.

For years I ran Napa premium rotors.
Then I worked at carquest, and got my rotors there. At some point some of them were labeled centric. Not sure who makes them now. But reasonable price and good quality.
If you are willing to spend some cash.. WJ or other big brake kit.

The best quality performance pads are the "Hawk" brand, have them on my XJ and have used them on my race cars for many years Circle Track and Drag Race.

I just grab the typical jobber pads for mine, work well, I can lock up my 35's predictably, but I also have the WJ front brake setup along with the ZJ/TJ/Explorer mix rears.
And when you do replace the pads, get TJ/Explorer pads and the rear hardware kit. They used steel overiders that eliminated the divots that the ZJ pads (same deal as stock front brakes do).

Another +1 for Black Magic + Centric rotors for stopping power. Best stopping combo I've tried (on stock brake system). A good improvement over EBC Yellow pads.

Seems a lot of folks like the store brand stuff. Anyone use the brakebest ceramics from O'Reilly's? They have been really good with me on everything else. I do have a carquest and Napa in my little town but they are usually significantly more expensive on anything I seem to need.

Advance has free shipping and if you check retailmenot.com, you can usually find a coupon code.

TRT30 is usually 30% off any order
TRT41 is usually $40 off $100

When I do brakes, I sometimes do multiple orders to maximize coupon codes.

Back