• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

275/78 valving to stiff?

RoyalXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Would 275/78 valving shock be to stiff for my xj? 3.5" coils with 240lb spring rate, tnt radius arms, 35s, tube bumper and winch with a steel cable. I rock crawl and daily drive it.

I run 400/100. 275/78 wont be too stiff.maybe not enough .

depends on your weight, spring rate, etc.

I ran 275/78 for years and loved it.

yeah it depends on a lot of factors. What springs are you running front and rear? What axles ? Caged(weight) ? How heavy is the rig when you fully load it?
I would say start with the 275/78 and re-revalve them if needed .

I ran with a 44/60. Exo cage. Stroker. 37's.

Skyjacker 8" coils cut down. I have no idea what spring rate they are, they were on the rig when I got it.

275/78 was great. I've learned that people use shock valving to make up for the lack of swaybars and proper springs. It doesn't take as much valving as a lot of people think.

This was what I was told... Go with the stiffest shock possible this way you can always pull some shims out if needed.

That sounds like advice from someone with no idea how to setup a vehicle. ;)

I mean, you could argue just as easily; go with the softest shock possible this way you can always add some shims in if needed.

Very few end consumers are going to pull their shocks apart and change valving. Most Bilstein shocks ship at 255/70, with 275/78 as a common alternative. A bunch of SoCal people do 360/80 or 400/100 and are happy with them, but I think most would be happier yet with a softer shock, proper bumpstops and a good swaybar.

sometimes the stiffest might have less shims...

Add equals $$, I was simply saying he could save himself a bit of money. Or just call the shock mfg and tell them what you have and what you plan to do.

subtract usually equals money too.

generally you don't get paid with 500 $1 bills. To get to 475 dollars, you need to remove a 100, and add 3 20's, a 10 and a 5.

I'm running 400/100 in front, and 360/80 in rear, on 7100s. I moved, with no spring changes, from 275/78 5150s. Things handle significantly better at speed, and I have seen no downside. I probably could use a bit more in back.

I would love to actually have a professional look at the rig, and get the shock tuning spot on, but my schedule doesn't make that very practical.

My spring rates are pretty soft, but it holds the truck up, so they are probably pretty close. I do make full use of the bump stops with a moderate amount of speed in the whoops.

I should also mention that the rig is quite heavy. Haven't weighed it, but I do carry a lot of camping gear, tools and spares.

David Bricker / SYR

I'm running 255/100 up front and 246/94 in the rear. They did something trick in the rear to help them work with the air bumps.

Back