• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stock fender flare help needed

Old_crow1

NAXJA Forum User
First let me apologize if I have posted in the wrong forum. Ok here it goes.. I purchased a 1998 jeep Cherokee classic and when I looked in the back seat of the rig I noticed the stock fender flares were in back. Apparently the guy had the whole thing painted and never had the flares put back on. My question is how can I put these back on WITHOUT using retainer brackets. I've saw many write ups and they always skimp out in that part.. I plan on trimming the fenders and painted the flares with bed liner. Please any help or write up would be greatly appreciated.

I cut and rolled the whole way around, leaving only the top four tabs to hang the flare back on. In looking at the wear in the plastic after years of wheeling on 265/70/17s, I could have left everything on top alone completely and cut and rolled the bottom six inches of the lip.

I take the brackets out of mine, trim the lower ends off, and put them back in.

Never did cut the front, ten plies just made room as needed.

Again, I left tabs but rolled the rest of the lip. This proved unnecessary in the long run because my tire and wheel combination never touched the plastic. To clarify even further, you could roll the bottom eight inches or so, never touching the top, cut the lower brackets in half, reinstall them sans lower studs, and put almost all of the factory hardware back in its original holes.

I use Magnum wheels with Nitto Terra Grapplers. Tomorrow I'll measure and tell you how far they got into the plastic.

Thank you for the clarification. U don't have any retainers though and with my budget.. I cannot afford them for some time. I'm ready to glue the damn things on at this point just to stop mid from flinging :-/

The brackets carry the studs and spread the load across the fender. 1/4" bolts with fender washers would suffice, but over time the flares may deflect. I wouldn't pull them very tight either.

Back