• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Is this reasonable for ball joint replacement?

gba88

NAXJA Forum User
Replacing _1_ lower balljoint: part 110, labor 150.

Now, when I look up a SINGLE lower balljoint on amazon or advance, I get anything from $14 to $96. At $110, I'd say they're marking this thing up about $80! I'm SURE they're not buying one of the more expensive ones. I'm pretty disappointed, because the guy at the shop that pointed this out was really helpful and answered a lot of questions. He even told me that it wasn't "really" bad yet, it was just that to align it, there had to be "0" movement. Tried to call another guy I know that occasionally does projects that are above my experience/skill level, but I can't get a hold of him today.

Biggest thing I've ever done is the front axle ujoints, and it was not fun without a press. Any thoughts on this situation? I'm hoping that if this is a huge ripoff that I'll be able to just buy the part and have someone replace it for a couple hours labor. I don't mind the 150 for labor, but holy hell that seems like the worst markup I've ever experienced on a part!

Replacing _1_ lower balljoint: part 110, labor 150.

Now, when I look up a SINGLE lower balljoint on amazon or advance, I get anything from $14 to $96. At $110, I'd say they're marking this thing up about $80! I'm SURE they're not buying one of the more expensive ones. I'm pretty disappointed, because the guy at the shop that pointed this out was really helpful and answered a lot of questions. He even told me that it wasn't "really" bad yet, it was just that to align it, there had to be "0" movement. Tried to call another guy I know that occasionally does projects that are above my experience/skill level, but I can't get a hold of him today.

Biggest thing I've ever done is the front axle ujoints, and it was not fun without a press. Any thoughts on this situation? I'm hoping that if this is a huge ripoff that I'll be able to just buy the part and have someone replace it for a couple hours labor. I don't mind the 150 for labor, but holy hell that seems like the worst markup I've ever experienced on a part!
yes they are marking up the part, the labor is about right. but when I turned wrenchs for a living the old say is( if you had the tools & new how to do it) don't bitch about the price for someone else to do it. BTW my Snap-On master balljoint kit cost $600. Someboby has to pay for that and to keep the ;light on in the shop, It"s called overhead.

yes they are marking up the part, the labor is about right. but when I turned wrenchs for a living the old say is( if you had the tools & new how to do it) don't bitch about the price for someone else to do it. BTW my Snap-On master balljoint kit cost $600. Someboby has to pay for that and to keep the ;light on in the shop, It"s called overhead.

I totally get the idea about having the tools the skills and all that. I'm used to a 20-25% markup, but damn. Put it this way, I'd feel a lot less insulted getting screwed out of extra labor hours rather than marking a part up that much. That's to say, I value the mechanics time and knowledge more than paying $100 for some part they probably have $20 in.

Ideally ball joints should be replaced in pairs. If you have one going out, chances are the others at also. I do my own, so I don't know rates.

Find a shop that will just do labor and bring them your $14 ball joint.

Ideally ball joints should be replaced in pairs. If you have one going out, chances are the others at also. I do my own, so I don't know rates.

Find a shop that will just do labor and bring them your $14 ball joint.

Well, I'd probably go for something a little more than the $14 one, but yeah, that's the idea if I can get in touch with a guy I know. The shop said they don't replace upper and lower unless both are bad. Doesn't make much sense since if one is out on that side, more stress would be on the one that wasn't (upper/lower) which would mean failing sooner than later.

Get the Spicers from Amazon and do it yourself. If you can change an axle shaft u-joint you can surely change ball joints. You can align the Jeep with a tape measure. The only thing they're going to adjust is front toe anyway. The rest is just a report of the other measurements.

Parts required:

2 of http://www.amazon.com/Spicer-706944...1458425979&sr=8-2&keywords=SPICER+BALL+JOINTS

Thanks for the link! Only thing though is I'll probably need to invest in a cheap c clamp style press kit. I've watched a couple videos and it looks like a pretty big job. If I cant get my regular guy to get into it, I just might give it a try.

You can rent the press and master 4WD adapter kit for free from the auto parts stores. I find Advance and O'Reilly's to have the more complete sets. Short of that, one of their C presses and the OTC 7894 kit is all you need.

Back