• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Different low idle question

old_man

NAXJA Forum User
I am running a 4.7L stroker with an AW4. Every once in a while, if I have to do a hard stop from speed, the RPMs drop and it dies. It may then not idle well for several seconds or minutes.

Full tank of gas
No grounds issues

My first though is that the tranny is somehow causing a drag at an idle. I recently swapped in a different tranny and the problem still exists. I did not swap the torque converter.

Anybody seen a similar issue? I am going to pull the IAC and swap it for my backup to see if that fixes the problem.

Year? It may be a problem with the torque converter not unlocking right away. Which may be electrical at the brake peddle brake switch or the TCU

Sounds like the converter doesn't unlock, is it similar to stopping a manual in gear without pressing the clutch? I'll second the brake pedal switch in this instance. Did you happen to service your transmission during the swap?

I originally thought the same thing, but I have the TC on a manual switch, so it never automatically locks, otherwise I would be thinking the same thing.

No it was just a used tranny from one of the guys.

Back