• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lower ball joint install problems

Ecomike

NAXJA# 2091
NAXJA Member
HELP!!!!!!!

Calling all readers here. I need help!!!!

Got the old ball joints off the 89 2WD Cherokee. Don't ask how. Got the top ball joint installed. OK ask how, LOL.

I went to 5 local parts houses and rented 3 different brand ball joint press tool sets and accessories (cost $350 in deposits), made about 10 trips...and the closest thing they have to install the lower ball joint is too big by about 1/8" in diameter and so it turns itself side ways just enough to not work properly. Got the lower one installed about 70% but the ball joint edge is too buggered now to use the loose tube for the bottom to complete the install.

Does anyone have a solution for this? None of the professional kits I rented have the right inside diameter and length tube for the bottom of the bottom ball joint for the install press (Massive C Clamp).

Thanks!!!!

I suspect you're overthinking the problem but if none of the presses work, you can freeze the bj and heat the knuckle. Won't slip right in but will require less work.

Usually the top ones are harder because of the offset angle. I was renting from Advance IIRC until I bought the OTC 7894 kit.

Usually the top ones are harder because of the offset angle. I was renting from Advance IIRC until I bought the OTC 7894 kit.

Thanks got word from several that the OTC 7894 is what I need. Ordering one now. Thanks

Back