• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Renix ground and wiring issues.

Gunter

NAXJA Forum User
i just wanted to share a little on what i found today.
i eliminated the bulkhead connector.
i was under the impression there were 3 OEM grounds that are in the harness, but i found four of them. all of them were crimped and had duct tape on them. mine is a 1988 Cherokee with 4.0 and AW4.
and i wanted to touch on a couple things i discovered. the wire colors have faded and are in a few cases hard to tell which wire color is which. my advice is cut and join one wire at a time, and use your Ohm meter to check the wires you cut on both sides of the connector, then join the ones you cut. there are 3 tan wires and 2 blue that can be problematic so be very careful and be very sure of the wires you cut.
and lastly, i had some solder with lead, it is really old and not made any more. i think the crimp on connectors that have shrink tubing would be the best way to join these wires.

i just wanted to share a little on what i found today.
i eliminated the bulkhead connector.
i was under the impression there were 3 OEM grounds that are in the harness, but i found four of them. all of them were crimped and had duct tape on them. mine is a 1988 Cherokee with 4.0 and AW4.
and i wanted to touch on a couple things i discovered. the wire colors have faded and are in a few cases hard to tell which wire color is which. my advice is cut and join one wire at a time, and use your Ohm meter to check the wires you cut on both sides of the connector, then join the ones you cut. there are 3 tan wires and 2 blue that can be problematic so be very careful and be very sure of the wires you cut.
and lastly, i had some solder with lead, it is really old and not made any more. i think the crimp on connectors that have shrink tubing would be the best way to join these wires.

I would NEVER use crimp on connectors.

There seems to be varying numbers of those ground splices from year to year. Just do them all like you did.

Results?

everything works LOL even my headlights are better. and i agree, solder is best. second best MIGHT be the higher quality crimp with the built on shrink tubing.

thank you again for your help

Back