• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

P Tires vs LT tires on Stock XJ

Tryfan

NAXJA Forum User
2001 XJ I6 AW4
I was looking to put 235 75 15's on my XJ which is mainly stock.
I went to a few tire places with guys telling me an LT tire is too much tire for the Cherokee . They said the LT tire would be too stiff and would lead to worn out balljoints and the suspension isn't stiff enough for an LT. I do off road my jeep nothing to excessive, occasionally Rausch Creek in PA. 20% off road 80% highway. I was looking to put on Cooper AT3's which they make in a SL, XL and LT versions. I currently have Duratracs LT version which are a great tire but they cupped pretty bad on me. My shocks are OK and tires were rotated but I did have ball joint problems with the Duratracs. Any advice greatly appreciated.

I ran Grabber AT2s in a 235LT flavor. I just adjusted the air pressure to get a good tread contact/ride comfort, and got 56k miles from them. They rode a little stiffer than the 225/70 Kelly safari the previous owner had on it is all. I do not see an LT tire causing too much ruckus for a stock suspension.

Wow ! You need to go to a different tire shop those guys are idiots.:roflmao:

You can run a 235/75 LT no problem or even a 30/9.5

TJ Rubicons, which have the exact same front ball joints and wheel bearings had LT-E tires from the factory ...

Wow ! You need to go to a different tire shop those guys are idiots.:roflmao:

You can run a 235/75 LT no problem or even a 30/9.5

Shop told me I couldn't put 4X 215/85R16 sized tires on a TJ Rubicon because the 4WD system would explode.

Here's a test... Give em an LT tire size... If they won't sell you the kinda tire that came on your vehicle from the factory... Time to find a better tire shop...

Tire shop guys can be worse than oil changers sometimes... Keep them in the dark, and don't bullshit with them.

TJ Rubicons, which have the exact same front ball joints and wheel bearings had LT-E tires from the factory ...

Shop told me I couldn't put 4X 215/85R16 sized tires on a TJ Rubicon because the 4WD system would explode.

Of course it would, you have round headlights. 😢

Back