• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wiring in a GM mirror

Cottontail

Three-De Off-Road
NAXJA Member
I got a GM mirror from a Suburban today, one that shows the temp and direction on the upper right corner. I found a thread on Expedition Portal of a guy that put one in a ZJ which made me think I could do the XJ.

It is a 7 pin connector. I know that pin 1 is the ground, pin 2 is the power, pins 3-5 are not needed in this application, and pin 6 & 7 run to the temp sensor that will get mounted in the grill.

So, my big questions are about pin 1 and pin 2. The ground pin wire, I can just run that to about anywhere that it will be against metal, right. The power pin, any suggestions? I thought about tapping it into the power outlet that gets juice when the key is on. One of the two is always hot, the other isn't.

I've never really done any wiring before - short of getting my CB hooked up. Am I on the right track? Not sure it matters to anyone's answers, but the wire is a 20 gauge.

You better find out what the voltage requirement is for the hot pin before you just splice it into a random hot wire. If it's not 12v, you may need to find a lower voltage wire or step it down first. Should be fine with the ground to the body above the headliner.

I got a GM mirror from a Suburban today, one that shows the temp and direction on the upper right corner. I found a thread on Expedition Portal of a guy that put one in a ZJ which made me think I could do the XJ.

It is a 7 pin connector. I know that pin 1 is the ground, pin 2 is the power, pins 3-5 are not needed in this application, and pin 6 & 7 run to the temp sensor that will get mounted in the grill.

So, my big questions are about pin 1 and pin 2. The ground pin wire, I can just run that to about anywhere that it will be against metal, right. The power pin, any suggestions? I thought about tapping it into the power outlet that gets juice when the key is on. One of the two is always hot, the other isn't.

I've never really done any wiring before - short of getting my CB hooked up. Am I on the right track? Not sure it matters to anyone's answers, but the wire is a 20 gauge.

The info you desire is located here: http://www.naxja.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1099482

Is there something I can touch the power wire to in order to ensure the mirror works?

guessing you have a gentex 177 mirror, its 12volt and pin 1 is for the switched 12v pin 2 is ground 6 and 7 are sensor,depending on year you might have the plug and wires in place for the sensor its behind bumper and goes toward pass side,connector to splice in for wiring to mirror is under pass kick panel,had it on my 2000 and son's 01

I sued the switched power lead for the display on my OHC since i didnt need the display anymore.

The ground i used the common ground for the ohc

I'll be damned. I got it to work. Hope that the display get's a little brighter. It is pretty dim and it might be hard to see in the sunlight.

Thinking about tapping into a rear speaker power wire. Should be key-on powered and will allow my wite to remain under the headliner.

I put in an auto-dim with temp/compass in mine, and used some extension wiring for under cabinet lights to wire it up. I needed 5 wires and it has 5 wires. I ran the wiring right down the driver's A-pillar and tapped into the ignition on cigar lighter. Been 2 years and no issues, and looks completely stock.
The rear speaker wire would carry the sound signal, and I don't think that's a good idea to tap into it.

That's good advice. I have it hooked up now to the power outlet, just to test it out, and it works great. The dim issue was just because it was in the garage in low light. When I pulled it out to the driveway in full light, the display became much brighter.

Now, just to tidy it up - and decide if I want to redo the headliner while it is out....

$8.35. I had to go to Home Depot to find 20ga wire and paid about 20 cents a foot for it. All in, this project is under $12.00.

Be sure to grab the sensor also (mounted mine next to the Cruise Control vacuum canister behind and below. the right side headlight).

Back