• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I broke a bolt off the engine block. Now what?

Old_crow1

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys.. I have a 98 Cherokee classic with the 4.0 I was replacing my exhaust manifold when I broke my intake. I replaced the intake with a horseshoe style one and upon further inspection I noticed I cracked one of two steel knob looking bumps off.. I'm so scared as to how bad I may have messed it up. I'm sortied about my intake forming a good enough deal to drive and sound as it should.. please if anyone has any experience with this and ideas to fix it.. it's my daily drive and I need my car to drive my kids.. thanks in advance

a9fe0049aafdfef75ad45e735c6047c8.jpg

No everything else appears to be intact and as it was before I took on this project. Hank you so much for this info. It's invaluable. Any ideas as to installing it? What if part of it fell into my engine. Gahhh I'm so stressed over this

are you sure you *broke* it off? maybe it just fell out? they're solid pieces of steel, and only pressed in....i've never seen one break, but i have seen them pop out and disappear. i doubt if it did, or could, fall into the engine.
i've changed intakes on 4.0's that were missing one or both dowels, never caused a problem for me. they're there for intake/gasket/bolt alignment as you put it together-just be careful with installation and you'll be fine. if it were me, i wouldn't worry about it. a lot of people get the intake hung up on those, then it doesn't seat properly.....they crank the bolts down and crack the intake manifold.

My god... I cracked mine when changing out the exhaust manifold. Off to the junk yard I went.. bought a intake for a 99 and that's when I noticed this. I'm not a mechanic so I'm kind of new to this

Get the dowel, clean out the hole with brake cleaner, apply some J-B Weld Kwik to the outer surface/end of the dowel, then tap it in to place.

It may help to breather in to a paper bag for a few minutes first. LOL

You seem definitely knowledgeable and on my way into work you took a burden off my chest friend. Thanks so much for the clarity. So I should just not bother with trying to replace it? I don't wanna have any annoying noises once she's road ready again so I hope that wouldn't affect it

Back