• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What to buy?

Jaime01

NAXJA Forum User
Hello,
I am looking to buy a vehicle. I the vehicles I am considering are Grand Cherokee, Commander, or a Dodge Durango. 4x4, 6 or 8 cylinder, third row seat. Between 2002- 2010. In the Las Vegas area.

What I am asking is what to stay away from, years, engine etc., and what would be a fair price for my area.

I have read that the 3.7 v-6 is not very reliable and under powered. Is that true?

I currently own an 88 Comanche so I am familiar with the 4.0 but that's about it.

If you can help me out with that info I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks Jaime

Well if you need a 3rd row the grand Cherokee is out

The 3.7 is powerful enough to move the commander but it's totally different from the 4.0 family. Don't think you'll understand cause it's a new world of trouble.
The 4.0 is a tank from the old world, you can get a half way decent one and run forever.

If you shopping look at maintenance records, any overheating, especially look for regular oil changes because the 3.7, 4.7 (just about the same motor ), probably the 5.7 are very sensitive to oil conditions.

The 3.7 (4.7 ) is not a bad motor it is like all 2000 era motor from just about any manufacture very oil sensitive.
If you have a choice pick 2005 up
On the 3.7. That was the last major change to the 3.7 far as the basics and computer go. If you had to you could throw in a motor from a low mileage 2012 Liberty. Simple swapping over like any similar engine swap.

The 4.7 had some major changes later but I'm not that familiar with the ins and out. At some point It doubled the spark plug count to boost power.

I have a 3.7 commander because basically it looks like a giant Cherokee :) my experience so far is the motor is competent but the way it works with the transmission is completely different shifting at points to save on fuel.
I don't really feel like the engine is not good enough but you really have to drive the other options to find out for your self.
But the v6 & v8 are just about identical depending on the year.
The cleaner the engine the better, usually mean very regular oil changes and the hidden danger is apparently they can have seeping head gasket failure if over heated which can cause a gunk build up inside the motor. Eventually killing it.

There is no easy way to look in the motor like the 4.0 by removing the oil cap, it's a oil filler attached in the middle of the cylinder head, the cap depending on the year can have build up on it that's normal because of the heating and cooling.
but a job like pulling valve covers is a involved, those year Chrysler products were designed with the motor transmission assembled on the engine cradle then lifted up in to the frame so everything you do that's major has ten extra steps because the body is in the way. Stuff like alternator, water pump are fairly easy and have a more modern gasket so it relatively painless.

It's late and I'm probably rambling. Bottom line is a good 3.7 4.7 is a decent motor if taken care of. I did a 3.7 engine swap so if you have a question I'd be glad to share what i know about those jeeps and that motor family .

Thank you for the replies.

I was leaning towards the Cherokee but haven't made up my mind. So the 3.7 is a good motor just needs regular maintenance. And the same with the 4.7.

I prefer a 3rd row but it is not a deal breaker. What I really don't want leather seats. When it gets 100 and crazy hot out here the last thing I want is hot leather. On that note I thought that some Cherokee's have a third row, just not a full seat. More like jump seats that you pull up.

Any thoughts on the Durango.

Well if you need a 3rd row the grand Cherokee is out

Plus one with this suggestion...
grandcherokee_high.jpg

The 05 -10 grand Cherokee is the same just about everything as a commander except for body panels. So there is a lot of parts. If you are looking at a 05 up GC check the ac control lights light up. Apparently they blow out and it's not a simple bulb swap.

The basic 4x4 is a variation of the quadra trac all time 4x4 and no low, they also have stability management . Kind of nice. I'm used to the old command trac . But the commander is more for family trips.

The Durango I'm not all that familiar with, the engine 3.7-4.7 are the same. A low mileage or well taken care of motor should last.

I've heard of some adding a few inches and good tires then using the commander v6 on the trail, imo the grand Cherokee with a low would be better. one thing about the newer jeeps is I think my old Xjs stock had better ground clearance.

The later model 4.7 is a great motor until it isn't, if it overheats one time you might as well get a rebuilt. 05-09 is a bad era for chrysler vehichles, they went chep in allot of areas they shouldn't have and overcomplicated simple systems, the power control module and the plastic water pump impellars come to mind.

I wondered about the impeller. But the aftermarket replacement with metal impellers don't seem to last.

The later year blocks were supposed to have better oil management, most rebuilders implement the same things.

Out of the 3 mod motor dodges Ive owned my 01 dakota witht he 4.7 HO was hands down the best. The impellar disengrated on my 07 ram 4.7 and I never could get all the tiny pieces of plastic out of it, and my 06 5.7 was a electrical nightmare, between the 3 coils I went through and a led brakelight burning out the power control module I couldn't do it anymore. Thats why I drive an xj now, this is the first vehchle i've ever owned that I actually trust.

I trust my XJs a lot more than most of my vehicles. The 4.0 is an incredible motor I was disappointed to find the 3.7 while strong enough and reliable, was not like the indomitable 4.0. 3.7-4.7 needs good clean oil and like you said if overheated you could have a lot of trouble later on.

Back