• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

will a 1998 2WD trans work and my 2000.xj

da602krew12

NAXJA Forum User
hey guys I got a quick question concerning a 2Wd aw4 . I've done a lot of research and most of the information I found pertains to the 4 wheel drive now I know I cannot use a pre 1999 four wheel drive transmission in a 2000+ XJ because of the input speed sensor used in the later Jeeps. can I put a 1998 2 wheel drive transmission in my 2000 XJ? or is there going to be an issue with the input speed sensor like on the 4 wheel drive Trans? the reason that I am asking is because I found at the junkyard a 1998 motor and complete drivetrain for $450 and my Jeep has the dreaded 0331... no crack in the head yet but I want to get it out before it happens.

do you guys think I should just swap the 1998 head on to my 2000 and just keep driving the 2000 till ot croaks and then rebuild (225K) or get the junkyard (210k) motor and put it in now complete and rebuild the motor that's in my XJ currently? my current motor runs strong no smoking or anything like that but it does have 225000 miles and the 0331 head

Read this thread -> Everything you ever wanted to know about the AW-4.

If the 0331 head is not cracked, there is no need to replace it. A 1999 or older head onto a 2000-01 can be done, but it is more work than it is worth. Should you actually need an 0331 head, find one from a 2002 or newer TJ or WJ.

yeah thanks Tim but I've already read that thread and it specifically says that it does not detail the two wheel drive and it doesn't, also I am aware of the later heads with the different cast mark but my question was pertaining to the transmission.

will a 1998 2wd aw4 work in a 2000 xj? does the input speed sensor change only apply to the 4wd? the two transmissions look almost identical although the 2000 transmission is still in the Jeep so I can only see so much of the transmission

thanks

I don't think my current head has a crack but it's possible that it may be developing one, I noticed the coolant reservoir was a little low but I've only owned this Jeep for a little over a month. when I look through the oil cap I don't see any obvious cracks or signs of milky BUT I can see a very small hairline of discoloration on the head right there between #3 and #4(very very faint)

the only difference between a 2wd and 4wd trans mission is the tailshaft housing and mainshaft.

electronically they are the same.
You need a 00-01 transmission

the only difference between a 2wd and 4wd trans mission is the tailshaft housing and mainshaft

I take it you didn't understand the question? I wasn't asking about the difference between a 2wd and a 4wd...

you have to completely disassemble the trans to change the tailshaft, not at all feasible or logical

again we're not talking about a four wheel drive transmission or converting a 2 wheel drive to 4 wheel drive.... were only talking about swapping 1 2 wheel drive for another 2 wheel drive transmission.

please read the question before answering lol

will a 1998 2WD transmission work in a 2000 2wd? will there be any issues regarding the input speed sensor?

Last edited:
Back