• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Upgrading my Rear End and Shock location questions

Producer_Shawn

NAXJA Forum User
I just bought a new rear end and it does not have normal shock mounts. My XJ will be 5" lifted in the rear on Berlin Mil Wrapped leafs from IRO. My shocks are in the stock locations. what is my best option here?

xa4vXDQ.jpg

UHZPIAQ.jpg

That's interesting.
Since your shocks are in the stock location and if your not using any of those existing brackets, cut off the ones pointing to the front and the two closest to the wheel.
Get oem shock mounts and weld them on.
W/ 5" of lift they'll need to be relocated, along with the factory perch.
JKS bar pin eliminator is a good upgrade for the upper.

If you don't mind me asking what was the setup before you got the axle? The fab skill looks good but what is going on with the truss to diff cover? The cover plug is near the top of the diff. Also those axle lug studs are huge. Possibly axle wrap bars too?

So it seems there is no way to make what I have work without cutting and welding?

These came off a CJ with 12" of lift so he had some shock mounts on top of the axle .

all I have is this tiny image
ufz4PqF.jpg

With the shock mounts you just want to make sure you run out of suspension travel before shock travel.
I.E. when the rear axle is against the bumps, make sure you still have a small amount of shock travel.
IMO if your using shocks that came w/ most lift kits and stock upper locations, the bottom shock pin location will be below the axle, especially if your going to use a bar pin kit up top.
If you still got your old axle cut the shock mounts off and use those.
Best of luck, looks like a fun project.

So things I learned today taking off my old axle.

1. Getting the E-brake cables off is not fun.

2. I am so glad I am in California as nothing was rusted on.

3. Wait too soon the front leaf bolts are crazy hard to get off.

4. I am going to need more stuff. Longer Brake line, New Shocks (mine were basically useless), Some bolts, some bushings, New U-joint, ...... Having a jeep is cheap right?

How much lift will you be running in the rear?
IIRC, YJ rear line will work for a few inches.
Dakota will get you up to 6.
Or, if you want some nice quality SS braided lines, Russ P is your man. Even though I haven't received mine yet.

Back