• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Weird electrical issue

the_mechanic

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
I am having a weird electrical problem on my '95 XJ. I recently had my alternator and battery both go belly up and I barely made it home as all my gauges and lights were flickering and/or shutting off.

Got the battery and alternator replaced and everything was working fine for a while but yesterday evening I went to get in I noticed some odd electrical issues. My dome light was dim like the battery was low but when I turned her over, the engine started perfectly (i.e., no slow crank or anything to match the dim dome light). At this point I also noticed my stereo would not turn on, it was as if it was not getting power from the ignition switch so it still 'thought' the Jeep was shut off.

It is as if the cabin is not receiving the full 12 volts from the battery. I have not gotten a chance yet to look at cables and put a DMM on the battery but I will tonight.

Has anyone had a similar issue? Any ideas what I might look at?

look at the feed cable from the battery to the PDC.
check the bulkhead connector at the firewall for corrosion.

The stereo could just be in the ignition switch. Sometimes tuning it off and on again will cause the switch to work again... But if the rest of the interior systems are acting starved for power I'm really not sure the cause for that. I'd check fuses and where the power come in to the box and attaches at the battery terminal.
We had a bad battery connection blow fuses, the big ones in the engine bay fuse box. Turned out the shop disconnected the battery to do something when they reconnected it one of the wires was lose or making a bad connection.
Might have nothing to do with your problems.

Be good to check those grounds too, but IMHO there are a number of ways the body should be grounded. Still ground straps can play all kinds of tricks on you when hunting a electrical gremlin down

^^^!!
Excellent call.. The ignition switch should be first on the list of things to check. All power for accessory items is run through the ignition switch.

Turns out it was much simpler than expected. I was finally able to dig into it more this weekend and everything I could think to check was seemingly a-ok. For some reason it occurred to me that it wasn't 'everything', just the dome light and stereo (which is almost everything electrical in my bare bones XJ anyway, but that is beside the point). Pulled out the owners manual, saw those were both on the same circuit, pulled that fuse and it came out in two pieces... Replaced it and everything was good as new (except I felt really dumb lol)

Never would have thought to check the fuse when it was a 'low power' situation instead of a 'no power' situation, turns out that was the wrong assumption.

Back