• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1988 steering box replacement-- what are my options?

jmg222

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
lots and lots of play in my steering -- already replaced the pump, think it's time to replace the box.

What are my options? I know on later model xj's, you can use a Durango box... will a Durango box fit on an '88 xj? if not, what other options are there? just a stock third party replacement?

IF the Durango box fits, is there any benefit to it? is it any stronger than the xj box?

I would verify your box is bad first. Most part store ones are junk. Also inspect your steering shaft. The vibration dampener by the firewall separated on mine and had a ton of play. It's hard to see but if you twist it with both hands you'll find it. Also check all your tre's.

I'm pretty sure the box is the problem-- it's leaking, and I don't see any issues elsewhere.

Get one for a 93 to 98 ZJ. Quicker response and fewer turns lock to lock.

I've seen very conflicting info on that ... some say the ZJ is quicker, some say Durango is, some say zj is the exact same as the Cherokee, some say the Durango wont fit...

I've resigned myself to trial and error, so I bought a '99 Durango steering box from amazon, if I have to return it they take anything back.

I'm in the same dilemma. I'm debating between OE XJ/MJ box, ZJ Box or Durango.

From what I've read:

Durango box is a little bigger and stronger, has 3.5 turns. issue is requires internal adjustment for full clock to clock turn.

On the XJ/MJ and ZJ, I've read that the re builders just pile them all up and rebuild em. Its a crap shoot on what actual unit you will get. So salvage yard is best bet.

-----

I have a Durango box and a ZJ box in my shopping cart on Amazon. Just cant make a dissension. So, I'll wait to see your results :)

I've seen very conflicting info on that ... some say the ZJ is quicker, some say Durango is, some say zj is the exact same as the Cherokee, some say the Durango wont fit...

I've resigned myself to trial and error, so I bought a '99 Durango steering box from amazon, if I have to return it they take anything back.

Just put a ZJ box in. It's quicker and a bolt in.

I used a Durango box for awhile, but went back to OEM. Just didn't like the Durango box.

the durango box is a faster ratio... so fewer turns lock to lock.

but without internally modifying the box, you will actually lose some turning radius as compared to an OE box. depending on how your steering stops are adjusted it may or may not ben an issue.

I read, once, that an 80s Camaro / Firebird steering box would fit. I don't know the factory ratio but I know that 12:1 ratio boxes are available. Would quicken the steering at the cost of some power.

Back