• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What is needed for a lift?

rlee94

NAXJA Forum User
I'm going to be pulling some S10 leafs out of a yard tomorrow and I'm wondering what else I would need. I'm looking to get about 3.5-4" lift.

What I know:
  • S-10 Springs
  • Extend Brake Line
  • T-Case Drop

What else do I need? Stock 88 XJ.

Let's build one.

Using S10 springs (depending on age, payload, etc) you should get about 3-4" from them. At that height your stock shocks will be almost at max, so work those into the mix. Your rear brake line will also be too short, get a dodge Dakota one and it will be more than enough. How are those stock shackles looking? good time to replace.

Up front you can pull some older F150/Bronco springs to get you in the 3-3.5" range; they ride like a brick from what I've heard. Your stock shocks are also at max now, so now it's a full set (JK shocks are cheap and can work here). Also the brake lines are again too short. They can be bent down, or make kits or pick up some YJ front lines. Your sway bar is now too short, you'll need extended links or disconnects. You may or may not have track bar issues, so an adjustable could be needed.

You could also possibly have driveline vibes with the lift. Newer models are more prone. The transfer case drop could help, or could make it worse. A slip yoke eliminator is the way to go, with a new rear shaft, to completely cure vibes. And you need to measure and upgrade your bumpstops after a tire upgrade so you don't blow out shocks and eat fenders.

Searching would reveal many answers. However, i do not know if you can do an advanced search without being a NAXJA member.
The first question is why lift? What is your purpose for the vehicle? What tire size? Because lifting cause many other necessairy modifications, e.g.; steering modifications, control arms, new wheels, pitman arm mod., longer shocks, fender trimming, re-gearing, etc.

Lifting also decrease daily driving effencency, road manners and gas milage.

Look at lift kits and see what all is included and then read what all is yet to be modified when one starts lifting above 2 inches.

To lift 4 inches and put 33" tires under a vehicle is quite expensive to regain proper clearences, wheel travel, stability and gearing.

Good luck, and don't go any higher than you need for your stated purpose.

Back