• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

new exhaust -- stainless or not?

jmg222

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Currently running dual-exhaust exiting in front of the rear wheels in an '88 xj w/ chevy 350.

While I love the look, the way the pipes are routed, they're rock magnets, and I've already hit them on mild off-roading. I'm going this weekend to a reputable exhaust shop to replace the duals with single exhaust, routing them the same way the old 4-cylnder exhausts were routed on the xjs-- one cross-over into a single pipe, over the cross member, out the back.

Is it worth going with stainless? the shop I'm going to will do aluminized, mild steel, or stainless (304 or 409). Is it worth the extra $$ for stainless?

After everything is done right, I'm installing engine/xfer case skid plates, so (hopefully) low risk of crushing the pipes.

I use my 01 XJ primarily as a beach buggy for surf fishing & for a snow weather Transportation. I had to replace the exhaust system every 2-3 years due to corrosion. 6-7 years back I finally went for a Borla Stainless cat back system, it is still 100%, worth every penny.

Depends how big of a problem rust is in your area. No problem running aluminized in my area. I wouldn't run straight mild steel though.

I had to get high quality stainless due to rust, the regular stuff only lasts a couple of winters here

I wonder if peeping & painting with a high quality high temp paint like POR20 would help extend the life of even a stainless exhaust.
I am thinking about painting the non-stainless parts of my exhaust (headers to cat).

I wonder if peeping & painting with a high quality high temp paint like POR20 would help extend the life of even a stainless exhaust.
I am thinking about painting the non-stainless parts of my exhaust (headers to cat).

I know ceramic coating will and the high temp paint type stuff was intended to be a more economical version of ceramic coating. There is a big market for this in the motorcycle scene and it's done all the time, even if folks put chrome heat shields back on. Sends more heat out the exhaust vs radiating it and is a great protector.

thanks for all the helpful responses. I'm getting a similar consensus from my friends-- no one is saying almunized is fantastic, and that if stainless is in the budget, to go for that.

Back