• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

distributor cap ticking

shmicah

NAXJA Forum User
EDIT: 1999 XJ 4.0L Automatic

A month or two ago I replaced the entire distributor cap, rotor and wires after the main wire going into cap corroded and fell off. Today I noticed a rhytmic clicking noise from my distributor and believe my distributor bearing is going out. I have tried reseating the cap several times and it is well seated.

I took the cap and rotor off, and can wiggle the distributor shaft back and forth a few mm's, enough to make it knock. From what I've seen online, buying a generic distributor from somewhere like o'reilly or advanced auto is not a good idea.

I've never shopped on rockauto, does this look like a good remanufactured OE version? It says "Chrysler type" in the Item list:
http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=1123516&cc=1431776&jsn=11

http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/jeep,1999,cherokee,4.0l+l6,1431776,ignition

There is also a Chrysler dealer around here that I'm gonna check with tomorrow, but if they don't have it I'll probably be going online.

Also, I need to buy the "Distributor Mounting Gasket" as well? FSM seems to indicate so. FelPro a good bet here too?

http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=121530&cc=1431776&jsn=10436

Thanks for your time

Last edited:
I bought a rebuilt dist from RockAuto last year, and it seemed to be good quality but
I don't remember the brand. That one is probably as good as any. All are rebuilt as I
don't think a new one is available anymore, and they all use the same Chrysler core.

The Felpro gasket is a good one, but buy two just in case. I developed an oil leak at the
dist base and had to double the gaskets along with using sealant. The stock gaskets are
very thin.

I bought the spectre distributor from rock auto (their upper level model, i didnt cheap out here and buy the cheapest), installed it, and left town for a week for work... Not 3 days later, the tig weld TACK holding the top plate that drives the rotor, to the shaft broke... leaving me stranded.

Ive since gone back to an oem quality part....

The distributor mounting gasket came with the replacement distributor, but its basically washer shaped, so if you keep a roll of gasket material, you could just make one.

A1 cardone used to be a very good name. Back many moons ago when I worked at a auto parts store they were supposed to be one of the better rebuilders.
I've used them in all my jeeps and supra with no failures. But for the jeeps it was some time ago. Quality may have changed.

Spectra I'm not to familiar with. I think I put one of their distributors in a Honda once with no issues. And a 3.7 jeep oil pan. Seem like a step up from the cheaper Chinese knock off parts companies. Might be wrong about them, this is only my impression of the few parts I've dealt with from them.

BTW the A1 distributors I've had came with the o-ring, honestly can't remember what the 4.0 distributor gasket looked like, I'm thinking I bought it and the cap and rotor separately.

Can I clean the cam shaft hole with brake cleaner? Better cleaner to use?

Also, for the record I ended up going with the wps/power select brand distributor from rockauto. I'll post back if it ends up being problematic.

Last edited:
Can I clean the cam shaft hole with brake cleaner? Better cleaner to use?
You can use brake cleaner, but don't spray anything inside
the engine. I'd take a shop rag and twist it and push down
into the distributor hole. Then you can safely clean the
gasket area, then pull the shop rag out and install the
distributor.

Back