• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Shackle Servicing question

Happytrails

NAXJA Forum User
About 55k miles and two and a half years ago I had a 4" RE lift installed. I don't think the shop greased the rear shackle bolts. It is squeaking a lot now.

How hard is it to get the shackles off for servicing? Do they hang loose when jacked up or will I be fighting the leaf springs?

rrshackle.jpg

Last edited:
Good idea. I tried this with another brand of aerosol silicone. But maybe it needs several more applications to do the job. Thanks

Not sure if you are still having an issue but I'll add just in case. Looks like your bushing on the frame side is shot anyway. A trick I've been using is jacking the jeep up at the axle to compress the leaves and then clamping them together with a c clamp so you don't have to man handle them when trying to re-assemble at the shackles.
To get them off the shackle the easiest way is to jack the jeep as high as you can get it and put a stand on the unirail and then you can lower the axle with the jack enough to unweight the shackle. I find it easier to remove the leaf side of the shackle first and then to after the frame side.

Granted the picture is at a weird angle, but that shackle looks vertical, which is not ideal. I'd strongly suggest looking at a shackle relocation application that will allow you to get the angle corrected...and at the same time you could do the necessary maintenance.

Check out HD Off-Road's relocation boxes. Good options there...

Not sure if you are still having an issue but I'll add just in case. Looks like your bushing on the frame side is shot anyway. A trick I've been using is jacking the jeep up at the axle to compress the leaves and then clamping them together with a c clamp so you don't have to man handle them when trying to re-assemble at the shackles.
To get them off the shackle the easiest way is to jack the jeep as high as you can get it and put a stand on the unirail and then you can lower the axle with the jack enough to unweight the shackle. I find it easier to remove the leaf side of the shackle first and then to after the frame side.

That's the info I was looking for. Thanks

Back