• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

more hell of Renix.

Gunter

NAXJA Forum User
popping out of the intake. 4 TPS and no love. best result was with the original one.
only have 3rd and 4th gear.no low speed ability of any kind. full throttle and sputtering, or full throttle in 3rd then 4th and then bogs down.cleaned the bulkhead connector, opened the harness and repaired the grounds. my input voltage would change if i wiggled the harness, so that made me open the harness. still no love. i have adjusted the CPS before with success a few times so i know how to do that. transmission shifts are messed up but the trans works fine except for the TPS issues causing it to only work in 3-4 gear. the Cat is raging hot, the frame rail is so hot you cant touch it. you can feel heat off the cat from 3 feet. i think i also have a clogged cat. i need help. or the jeep is going to be burned and crushed.

You answered your own question. If the cat is red hot, then it is plugged. Best prices for aftermarket cats are at http://performance-curve.com/.

Or it is dumping raw excess unburned fuel into the exhaust for some reason, like a stuck injector...that may have damaged the Cat by now. Check the spark plugs first if you did not check them since this new symptom started

ok more info. cut cat loose and no change. the honeycomb is all good on the engine side. no melting, none broken. should i cut the back side off and look? it ran no different once the pipe was cut and it bypassed the cat and muffler.
also:
cleaned dipstick ground point, degreased and sandpapered the dirty metal off and did same on the stud on the block. and the 3 wires on it .
cleaned firewall ground. dont have a deep socket for the head so i ll get that one come monday at work.
cleaned coil and it's contacts. i had cleaned them in the last year but i wanted to be sure.
unplugged o2 and no change in performance.
heading out to check o2 sensor with Ohm meter in a few minutes.
will also check the engine coolant sensor on the block.
i ll pull the knock sensor plug and make sure it is good and working as best i can.
i will also check the air intake sensor as well on the intake manifold. and will use the multi meter on the MAP sensor and check it.
i ll pull a plug and check it as well.
the TPS voltage is set with a new TPS set to .83 and that has stayed and not changed.
I also have gone back thru the engine side harness and wiggled it as the engine "ran" and no change. checked again last night and the tps voltage stays the same when i do that as well. so i think i have the tps ground/voltage fluctuations fixed.
wiggled and pulled lightly on the CPS and no change.
i do need to pull the o2,knock sensor and engine block temp harness up and check for any cuts or abrasions. the loom cover is almost all gone from prior owner from where it curves and goes down around the intake and exhaust manifolds and it is just wires with no protection.
the duct taped grounds in the harness have also been cut out and replaced, but not wrapped up yet.
I have recently changed the battery in the last 3 months, the posts are all clean, as i did that when i got the battery replaced.
at the end of December i also replaced the ignition switch and my NSS is not on the trans. the mount broke when i took it off to clean it as it was causing no start issues.

Define "Cat is raging hot, the frame rail is so hot you cant touch it. you can feel heat off the cat from 3 feet" For instance was it glowing in the dark at night? Cherry red at night? Do you smell raw unburned fuel? Or is that just a normal hot for the cat??? Hard to tell so far from your description. If it is glowing at night then it is unburned fuel in the exhaust!!!!

Sounds to me exactly like raw unburned fuel in the exhaust now, burned valve (rare), 2 swapped spark plug wires? A(or more than one) bad fuel injector not closing all the way, leaking excess fuel, a bad spark plug, bad spark plug wire(s), or a timing issue for the spark or injection (rare).

Solve the overheating exhaust first, if that is true?

the cat made the frame rail near it so hot it cant be touched. the cat and muffler are tan like they have been exposed to excessive heat. it acts very much like water in the dis cap. for the last month

the cat made the frame rail near it so hot it cant be touched. the cat and muffler are tan like they have been exposed to excessive heat. it acts very much like water in the dis cap. for the last month

I use a hand held infrared sensor/tool for reading the temperature to get a more precise picture of what is going on.Awesome tool they are!!

Back