• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tailgate switch electical connection

seanR

Want to puff on my pipe?
NAXJA Member
Ok, the "hatch open" light in the dash is on for some unknown reason. The door is closed tihgtly. I took the tailgate apart and disconected the electric plug on the latch it self. I see that harness also runs the dome light. there are three wires in that plug, one is hot all the time the other two must be switch legs, one for the dome light and the other for the dash light, correct?

Any hints, is the switch bad? Should I replace it? or am I barking up the wrong tree altogether?

2000, by the way.

Thanks for your help.

As I understand, the tailgate switch is actually the latch istelf..? The latch grounds out when the 'gate is closed, thereby turning off the light. An open circuit (removed plug) would only make certain the light stays on.
I could be wrong here, but that's my understanding as to how the rear hatch light works.
Can someone else confirm / correct this?

Back