• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wrong Front Drive shaft?

xjintx

NAXJA Forum User
Hey Guys I need some help. It's on my 2000 XJ 4.0 Automatic 4.5 " lift with drop arms. I recently busted my front driveshaft. Went to O'Reilly's and picked one up. It was a Cardone 65-9140.

Today I added drop Arms to my Jeep. It moved the axle forward as desired but then my front axle came out at the slip Joint. I actually do not know how much was actually engaged but not a lot I guess. I'm glad I had not wheeled since replacing. If I do a parts search on O'Reilly site it shows that 65-9140 but says for D44 and 5 speed?

I called them to see what was up... after finally speaking to the Manager he said I needed a Cardone Drive Shaft 65-9143 which was special order and the factory had none so he could not get?

I have now searched for the 65-9143 and I can find on sites like Summit Racing and such.

Does anyone actually know which part I need? I searched the site and nobody mentions having to change shaft for a 4.5" lift? Could I possibly be doing something wrong?

I'm at just over 5.5" and still use a stock front with drop brackets. I'd say run to the junkyard and grab a spare or hit up the for sale on your chapter forum. Bet someone has a spare sitting around. Junkyard shafts around here run about $20. I could have you a dozen tomorrow if I hit my local yards.

I'm at just over 5.5" and still use a stock front with drop brackets. I'd say run to the junkyard and grab a spare or hit up the for sale on your chapter forum. Bet someone has a spare sitting around. Junkyard shafts around here run about $20. I could have you a dozen tomorrow if I hit my local yards.

Same for me.

Found out from Cardone I do need the 65-9143 but they are no longer manufacturing them for sale :( If I want I can send them a busted shaft and they will rebuild. $309 but... I need a core. The OReilly's does not have mine so I guess a JY if I can't fine a good one in JY. I also found out the Crown Automotive 53005542 is the replacement for a new one. I am going to weigh my options... :(

don't buy cardone's junk.

if you can't find a good one at the JY, call Tom Woods.

4xshaft.com

I bought a drive shaft from a salvage vehicle yard south of here. Thought you needed a special license to get in there. They sell parts off vehicles that do not sell as salvage and scrap the rest. Did not know they had parts as there are no junk vehicles on lot.
I was pleasantly surprised when he brought it out... excellent shape for $65.

I replaced the U-Joint just because ;)

Thanks for the input!!!!

Back