• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

87 XJ headlight switch connector

alfman

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
I have a delema, the headlight switch in my 87 XJ burned up internally to the point of burning the contacts loose in the switch. This caused the connector to melt and burn to the point of it is wide open in the middle of the connector and half of the wire terminals are melted loose. Wires themselves are not burned. I can not find a replacement connector and pigtail setup for 90 and earlier XJ's. They only make them for 91 and up. Does anyone out there know of a supplier that has these connector and pigtail setups? If not I guess it's of to the boneyard. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks, Al

In theory, your local Mopar deal should be able to get you a pigtail.

Junkyard, or simply use individual standard push on connectors for each terminal.

standard.jpg

Found my post from 2012-11. Seems like longer ago.

Biggest problem I had was finding a new connecting plug, 1991 is the last year of the old design and it's 21 years ago now.

I bought a Airtex 1p1190 Pigtail assembly, it's not for a 1984 - 1991 XJ but if you look at you see it almost Identical to the 1991 connector.

Except for two things they added three wires, two of them (Black and Blue) are at the back of the connect and because of them the connector will not fit out of the box.
!!d+j9C!EGM~$%28KGrHqR,!jYEzKI2lvZKBM+UDyhf%28Q~~_35.JPG

What I did was hacksaw off those two addition connectors, you can see where it was added to the old design. With those gone the plug now fits the 1984 - 1991 XJ headlight switch no problem.

They did add a wire to the plug that isn't used, terminal P, I believe. I just pulled the unneeded wire.
These are from some notes I made, could be slight off, it was about a week or two ago I did the rewiring.

1984 -1991 Cherokee XJ headlight terminals

I - Instrument Cluster / Dash Lights
D - Ground for Dome
H - Headlights
B2 - Taillights / Park lights
R - Dimmer switch
P- Unused
B1 - to Battery input from fuse box

Wells also makes one I think it is part # 583

Last edited:
I re-checked Rock Auto, 92 up are available. 91 down use a Standard DS220 switch. Might be able to adapt 92 up by cutting one terminal off. Trying not to do individual or bone yard if possible. Has anybody tried using the 92 connector?

I re-checked Rock Auto, 92 up are available. 91 down use a Standard DS220 switch. Might be able to adapt 92 up by cutting one terminal off. Trying not to do individual or bone yard if possible. Has anybody tried using the 92 connector?

Yes I believe the one I used was for a 1992-1996.

Green Mesa I am going to try what you did. I thought it looked similar other than the extra wires. Thanks

Green Mesa I am going to try what you did. I thought it looked similar other than the extra wires. Thanks
Either way of fixing it should work fine.

The plug part numbers I could find are the airtex as mentioned and 4782204, 5019911AA, 583. 583 is a wells number.

I forget why I went to all the trouble of finding a plug, probably because I'm not the primary driver of the Jeep and didn't want to take a chance something gets bumped when she hit the headlights. The plastic that holds the headlight switch in the dash melted some too when the plug wires went, maybe the dash was just brittle.

Be glad to help if I can.

The fix at your stage is much easier if you take a good connector and about 6" of wire from the harness in the JY and use but connectors to splice in. You might search EBAY!!!!

Sounds like a good time to upgrade your harness so you aren't pushing so much amperage through the switch to prevent this in the future.

INDEED!!! :cheers:

Back