• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Good tranny shop in OC, CA?

wgregt

NAXJA Forum User
Took the day off to go skiiing up @ Big Bear today. Drove fine there. About 1 mile from the ski area the tranny let go. No forward motion at all. No reverse either. I got it turned around and pointed downhill thanks to Sir Issac Newton, and coasted back to near the freeway using momentum and luck. Odd thing is, if I cut it off and restart it, it moves/drives fine. After a few minutes, no go.

Got it towed to OC. THAT was fun.

I got over 300k on it. Original tranny. 88 xj limited. 242?

Fluid smells....burnt.

Any of you local guys know who might be good to take it to for a look/fix? I've been quoted $2000-$2500 so far @ dealerships, etc. I'm thinking a tow to an auto tranny shop first might be good? Not sure of next steps. Would love some advice.

Thanks. I'll call them now. I'm gonna have to figure out which way to go: rebuilt is running about $2k everywhere I call.

I've been told that rebuilt will never be as good/tough/long lasting at the original AW4, and to get a junkyard dismantler AW4 off the shelf and have someone throw it in. That way is about $200-$400 for the part and $500-$600 for the install. 90 day warranty on the part, and of course none on the labor.

I'm leaning towards doing the cheaper R&R version, but that 2 year full warranty on the rebuilt ones are tempting. Not sure what to do. Thoughts?

Have you drained the fluid and dropped the pan yet to see if there is any metal on the magnet or in the pan? Not shavings but bigger metal pieces. Also, if you are saying it smells burnt, you may be able to get away with a simple fluid change if you suspect it hasn't ever been changed. I wouldn't consider that any more risky than doing the same on a junk yard transmission before you install it.

No. Haven't done anything on it since the tow truck dropped it off. Would be great if a fluid change would handle it. I need to get it towed somewhere today hopefully and get some answers.

Had it towed to a local transmission shop. They said the tranny is indeed trashed. However, they are the first shop I've talked to that actually SUGGESTED a used one. They gave me 4 options:
1) I bring them a used one from a dismantler/junkyard etc, and they put it in. The best I could do this way was a 60 day warranty from the wrecker yard. $300 part/$600 labor. Total: $900
2) they get a used one from their supplier, but it comes with a 12 month/12k miles warranty on parts and labor when they put it in. $1200
3) they rebuild it. Comes with a 2 yr/24k mile warranty. $2610
4) they install a remanufactured one, which would have a 3 yr 100k mile warranty. $3414

I went with option 2, essentially paying $300 for a year warranty.

I'll let you guys know how it runs/drives when I get it back early next week. Thanks for the input.

Got it back last week and so far so good. If you need to find a good transmission shop in OC let me know and I'll fill you in.

Back