• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bumper thoughts!?

Nichkojr.7

NAXJA Forum User
What do you all think about this bumper? The guy makes them locally and is basically delivering it for $300 or should I save up and buy a better one?
254ada1a10754722cb2794fb9bd2ea7f.jpg

148e034fb7a10dedded8b2e82ba8d0da.jpg

a13c485e1257d92266a2b314a0a513cf.jpg

Doesn't look like there is a whole lot holding that winch on there. Also, when looking at bumpers make sure they utilize more than just the stock six bumper mounting holes.

I'm no welder, but those look like booger welds to me. Ends aren't capped, and it looks like it sticks out too far on the sides. The bolt holes that are visible are so big that light is coming through (though they may just be ovals for adjustment), and there's the question of how the brackets mount. For $300 I'd pass.

Sucks for approach angle and fitment to the body and the winch mount is sketchy. Looks like "I've got some compliments on my bumper so I should try and sell some......"

What does it have going on where it mounts to the frame?

The frame mount won't even be an issue ... The winch will tear off long before the frame mounts get stressed.
I would steer clear of that particular bumper.
My own bumper was a $300 job, but it is also strong enough that I wouldn't fear lifting my XJ off the ground with it. Simple, low approach angle and uses all available mounting points and a few extras.
That one, just scares me really.

Thanks guys! Here's a few other ones he makes,
9ed88e80606ea6109880ccd34ae20341.jpg
d6bf38e1e53f2f3541360fa0360b1757.jpg
6bad88c675ae30472cf1264b0d4fd895.jpg
still only uses 3 bolts per side, granted I don't go off roading that much but if I did and I depended on the bumper to get me out of a situation I definitely wouldn't want the SOB to rip off!

If he were to upgrade his side plates to grab a few more bolts it would be a better product with the strength in the mounts to back it. That second design looks nice, just as mentioned, lacking in how it mounts
This is how mine is (passenger side) other side is the same, there are also mounting bolts added in the frame ends. So the frame end is captured so to speak (but my front bumper also replaced the front crossmember so it's a bit of a different scenario.

56b70f5cf55fb82b66664ef7bcf9e545.jpg

e4659e93346d031e505ccb1c5811a7c6.jpg

Last edited:
You're going to get what you pay for.

Spend a little more for a JCR, C4x4 Fab, etc. Its money well spent for a quality product.

If he were to upgrade his side plates to grab a few more bolts it would be a better product with the strength in the mounts to back it. That second design looks nice, just as mentioned, lacking in how it mounts
This is how mine is (passenger side) other side is the same, there are also mounting bolts added in the frame ends. So the frame end is captured so to speak (but my front bumper also replaced the front crossmember so it's a bit of a different scenario.

56b70f5cf55fb82b66664ef7bcf9e545.jpg

e4659e93346d031e505ccb1c5811a7c6.jpg

I like

I had a JCR front bumper and loved it. Personally, I don't like it but I'm not you so who cares. As long as mounts and hardware allow for operation under max shear capacity, your fine. Typically, adding plates to increase shear planes will increase shear capacity of bolts. You also want to use high grade bolts.

The only issue I have with the jcr stuff is their brackets don't extend and the make you buy add on parts. So to get the extra mounting holes you need to buy a bracket that you may be able to use on other bumpers if you have a 3/16 gap between the bumper and unirail.

Back