• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need help now! Stuck in the rain

Hey gang! Reaching out as a last resort. We've had 16" of rain his month 5+ today. I live in the boonies of sweet Florida lots of huge puddles and small water crossings. 1999 XJ AX15 5 speed stock engine other than header and a K&N cone. Ran through some water in the heavy rains and she started to stumble/stutter at higher rpms. I made it to a paved road let the revs fall and she quit. Been sitting here 45 minutes intermittently trying to start w/o luck
If I crank for 10-15 seconds, when I release the key it runs or runs on for a couple of seconds accompanied with a very rich unburnt fuel smell. Obviously any help anyone could offer to help diagnosis would be great. Standing by in the rain...

Washed out the distributor and or sparkplug.? Did you check the plugs? Pull off one wire at a time and make sure no water in the plug holes?

Yeah, it's pouring rain so I don't really want to start opening things up. It does look remarkably dry with just a quick peek under the hood.

Okay, so the rain let up a bit and I disconnected the plugs for the coil, distributior, and a few others. Didn't seem to wet, but I shook them out and wiped them out as best as I was able. Managed to get it started, but it doesn't want to run much below 2k. I've been got a Centech OBDII scan tool in my lap and it not showing any codes. I can get live data, but I don't know what parameters to look for.

Update. I let the rpms fall, and lost all throttle response. It was just loping and sounded bad. It will start and run poorly for a moment or two

Update: Eventually, I guess whatever component or connection that was wet, dried up enough to run again. After sitting at idle for 15 minutes or so. I was able to drive away w/o event. I checked many connections, plug and coil wires, pulled the cap and rotor and it looked dry. I'd sure like to know what the cause was...

At a guess, I'd lean towards moisture in the disributor.

Get yourself some dielectric grease and put a little on every electrical connext ion u can. It will help so much with water issues. Not inside the distributor just make sure the seals on it are good. Also try not to get on the spark plug boots. Just a dab on the spark plug head and the distributor connection.

Back