• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Doing an SYE prior to doing lift?

Throws

NAXJA Forum User
Just trying to minimize the downtime I'll have when I do my lift, so I was wondering if there's any reason NOT to do my SYE ahead of time. It's my understanding that with a LA 4.5" kit I can use another front driveshaft in place of the rear. So, I'd just get the SYE part out of the way and swap the front DS into the rear's place. I'd be doing the lift a couple of months from now.

Workie or no workie?

-P
'99 Sport 4.0/4WD/Auto

You should be able to unless you have the RC longarms(their belly pan has a drop in it).

Wait, the RC crossmember has a built in TC drop? I didn't measure pre and post when I did the install so I just assumed it would be stock height. I wonder if that's why my rear output is clocked down 4* and my front is clocked up? This will be yet another reason why I hate this stupid crossmember.

Well spank my ass and call me Charlie. I just talked to Jonathan at rough country and they have a built in drop of about 1.25". I wish that was advertised by them or the vendor I bought it from.

Wait, the RC crossmember has a built in TC drop? I didn't measure pre and post when I did the install so I just assumed it would be stock height. I wonder if that's why my rear output is clocked down 4* and my front is clocked up? This will be yet another reason why I hate this stupid crossmember.

When dropping the crossmember, for better rear driveshaft angles, it increases the transfer case's front u-joint angle, not good.
Keeping the crossmember at the stock height and using an SYE, produces the best angles possible.

You can install the SYE before the lift but will need to wait on determining what angle shim to use until the lift is in and the angles measured.

Back