• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

T-Case issues help

WestVirginia-XJ

NAXJA Forum User
First time poster but I've looked through many different forums.

This is my first XJ. 90 limited with 4.5" RC lift and 285-70-17. Stock gearing and has the AW4 with a 242Tcase.

Ok so heres my problem. When I acquired my XJ last year I noticed that it would pop when 4x4 is ingaged. Checked all Ujoints and they all checked out fine. So after reading around different forums I checked out the Tcase. The chain was stretched and was slipping. I replaced the chain with one from Both Warner. Now I'm having the same issues and came to find out the chain is yet stretched again. Hasn't been a full year sense the chain replacement

My question is, what is stretching my chains? Thanks

Where did you get the replacement chain? What brand was it?

Your problem is most likely that the stretched chain caused the sprocket it runs on to wear out. This is common on motorcycles. Look at the sprockets closely and if necessary get a pix or another known good sprocket.

Thanks for the speedy response. The chain came form eBay and the brand of chain was Borg Warner. Is there a site to get replacement gears? I have a friend that has a 231Tcase for like 100$ but its from a 96 xj

also check your input gear and range fork shift hub. one thing that is common and sounds just like a slipping chain is the input gear and hub wearing out and skipping on each other.

you could run the 97 242 but you'd have to swap the input gear which would bring you likely back to the same problem.

if yours only needs sprockets they are the same in both years of 242

if you want to replace the whole case you'll need one from an 87-90 xj or you'll be forced to replace the input gear

Ok im back. I am going tm to pick up a TCase from a friend. Its a 231 out of a MJ that had a 5 speed. Mine has the 242 AW4. Ill have to change inputshafts. What all parts will i need to get to put this 231 into my xj. Will my lankage work or will i need 231 linkage aswell.

you shouldn't need to swap input gears unless the MJ one is too short. if you need to swap them you will need the input gear from the 242 the input bearing and the seal housing. basically the front most piece of input
just reread the OP yours is 21 spline so you will need to swap the input gear

Back