• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Durango 160a Alternator install

DieselSJ

NAXJA Forum User
Well it was time for a new alternator, so I started looking at options. First thought was just the 137A from the ZJ, but I didn't like needing to rewire anything to match the terminals on the back of the alternator. When I looked at the Durango version, the plugs matched my 99, so that made it a better option. Added bonus is that the Durango 137A was about $40 cheaper than the ZJ version, and the 160A was only about $5 more than the 137A. So, 160A it was.

I am creating this thread as there was no good setp-by-step thread of the install, showing what fit and what doesn't and what needs to be modified to get it in.

The box -
PartNumber_zpsjm23aboa.jpg

Here are the differences between the stock and Durango units -

The rear -
160vsStock_zpsw1hr1kao.jpg

Close up of the output stud. The stock terminal will NOT fit unless you drill it. However, I do not recommend using the stock wiring. A 3/8" ring terminal fits.
Output_zpsecuez9ze.jpg

The front -
The overall size is very close. It took less than 5 minutes with a die grinder to clearance the bracket on the block to get it to fit. Sorry, no pics of that part. I installed the top bolt, then kept grinding and test fitting until I could go past the lower hole so I knew there would be an air gap all the way around.
Front_zpsqg5nlbma.jpg

The pulley -
The Durango pulley is larger diameter and has an extra rib. The extra rib is fine, but I didn't like that it would be spinning slower. So, I swapped the pulleys between the units.
Pulley_zps4wwjfiif.jpg

The charge wire -
Yes, I didn't follow my own advice. I am building new cables for it but needed to get it back on the road so I made a temporary tweak. Since I don't have any loads that are larger than stock, I should be OK for a week or two. I used a unibit to enlarge the hole in the stock charge wire.
ChargeWire_zps1syiovuz.jpg

Front bracket -
Something that I haven't seen anyone mention here is the front bracket. The ribs are higher on the front of the Durango unit, so some clearancing needs to be done. This was done with a cutoff wheel on my die grinder.
FrontBracket_zpsdsyzk0s8.jpg

All mounted up -
Here it is in place.
AllDone_zpszophekf1.jpg

Been running it for a week and everything is working great. With the old alternator, when my fan would kick on my volt gauge would dip for a few seconds. Now, it holds rock steady at an indicated 14v on my stock gauge no matter what I turn on.

It really was a very easy swap.

Nice job. What year/info for the Durango did you tell the parts monkey? God Knows They cant find stuff without plugging everything in their computers.

There's a fusible link on the wire from the alternator to the pdc and I'm not sure what that is rated at so too high of a draw on that will leave you will a broken connection and no power from it.

I did what the guy in post 12 did but with a 175a mega fuse and upgraded the wiring to 2ga
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1074015

Edit: Saw you didn't recommend using the stock wiring but just letting others know

Last edited:
Now I really wish I would have bought the 1AWG from Jon instead of the 4AWG.

What year XJ are you working with? The Renix has an internal regulator, and it looks like these use an external regulator.

Shows it's a 99 in OP.

Nice job. What year/info for the Durango did you tell the parts monkey? God Knows They cant find stuff without plugging everything in their computers.

2001 Durango. Should work for 97-later XJ.

There's a fusible link on the wire from the alternator to the pdc and I'm not sure what that is rated at so too high of a draw on that will leave you will a broken connection and no power from it.

The wire will be upgraded. Since my loads are still stock, I should be fine for a short time. The alternator isn't going to push 160a just because it can - it is only going to push out what the systems are calling for.

2001 Durango. Should work for 97-later XJ.

The wire will be upgraded. Since my loads are still stock, I should be fine for a short time. The alternator isn't going to push 160a just because it can - it is only going to push out what the systems are calling for.
Thanks man. :cool:

So what's with your screen name? Diesel fsj?

Now I really wish I would have bought the 1AWG from Jon instead of the 4AWG.
If you don't need a 160 amps but do need more than 136, just leave the fuse at 150 amps to protect the wire and you should be fine. Like someone else already said, the alt isn't going to magically make power unless something is using it.

Back