• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Should I lock first or lift higher

W1zardofozz

NAXJA Forum User
Hello NAXJA, I've come to a bump in the road on my build

I have a 1997 Cherokee with a 4.5" lift kit on 35's using the stock 29 Spline 8.25 rear with a dana 30 front.

I plan on lifting it to 6.5' and putting long arms under it, but I feel like at the moment I would get more benefit from a locker. I've also heard some people say that I shouldn't lock with 35's, but others say they have no issue.

I want to lock my rig before I lift it more for traction and such

Any input? If you need more info just ask :yap:

N38qouF.jpg

Last edited:
lock it. and ditch the stock UCAs before you do anything else.

why do you think you need more height? seems to travel decent as it is.

lock it. and ditch the stock UCAs before you do anything else.

why do you think you need more height? seems to travel decent as it is.

I want to lift it for a little better clearance and I also want to get full benefit from long arms when I do install them. It's at 4.5" on 35's right now and I'm not gonna lie I'm surprised at how much travel I've gotten from it. This isn't even maxed out but I want more. Much more

Why do you want more travel? Just cause? Locking it will more then make up for a slight lack of travel.

It's mostly just cause, but it wouldn't hurt to have. My main place of wheeling is Uwharrie, where there isn't really much for extreme climbing or off camber, but I do find myself needing the travel on trails like Daniel and Dickie Bell. Given this advice however I'm absolutely locking first though. Thank you guys!

If you're doing rock crawling of any type I wouldn't go any higher than 5 inch of lift, for 1 there's no need, 2 it's a narrow wheelbase so at taller heights it becomes unstable and the list goes on..

Ya man lock and get adj upper and lower control arms. I've noticed that my long arms are just a spot to get hung up. The guys I wheel with have short arms and they flex just as much as me.

Like everyone else said bump stop it and call it good. You only need about 3-4 inches of uptravel anyway so there is no reason to go to 6.5 your plenty tall enough as it is. I would also suggest getting rid of the rack on top. For every pound you move above your center axis your just raising your COG. I'm running 39.5's with 4.5 inches of lift and love it.

Like everyone else said bump stop it and call it good. You only need about 3-4 inches of uptravel anyway so there is no reason to go to 6.5 your plenty tall enough as it is. I would also suggest getting rid of the rack on top. For every pound you move above your center axis your just raising your COG. I'm running 39.5's with 4.5 inches of lift and love it.
Thanks again for all the advice guys. I think I'll keep my height and just fix the issues like sagging coils and fatigued leaf springs. You guys are awesome!

PM me if you want a used spartan locker for your 29 spline 8.25. I bought it off another member here thinking I could use that to upgrade my 8.25 to 29 spline and I need a new carrier too. Only looking to recoup my cost so around $230 and it's yours.

Back