• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stuck axle in Dana 30

jeepkurtz

NAXJA Forum User
Hope someone can help. I have a 2001 Jeep Cherokee sport with a Dana 30 stock 27spline. The Driver's side axle ujoint snapped and I am trying to get the axle out. Removed hub, Wheel side of the ujoint and shaft no problem. Axle from u joint to Diff is still in Vehicle. It will not release. All the videos I see the axle slips right out. This one will move in and out about a 1/2 inch but will not go past that. There is an aftermarket Locker in the Carrier, and the shaft acts like it has a c clip or something on it but I can not get to one if there was. Is there a way that the locker is gripped on to the shaft or something? Am I just not being forceful enough ?

Not uncommon for a blown axle shaft u-joint to cause cascading problems... Shafts should just come out. You'll need to pull the diff cover and determine the extent of the carnage.

i'm thinking you twisted the splines on the shaft in the locker and it's bound up on the shaft. i'd grab it with a slide hammer or a chain and pop it out. other option depending on your particular locker would be to pull everything out of the opposite side and use a broomstick or dowel with a mallet and pound it out.
open the diff first to inspect it before doing anything to make sure there isnt an obvious problem inside.

Back