• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1st gear lockout switch install?

cp2295

NAXJA Forum User
First off ive looked at multiple threads and am confused by everyone of them. How do i hook up a switch that when turned on will hold my 96 xj aw4 tranny in 1st when shifted into the 1-2 position. And when turned off will Act as it normally should. I hate doing a hill climb and the rig shifting to second and ruining my momentum, any links to GOOD writeups that actually make sense or info posted to this thread would be greatly appreciated!! There seems to be a lot of threads explaining how to lock into 2 but im not as concerned with that, tho i would like to do that one too. Thanks!

My current jeep had both solenoids out. So PO installed the exact switch you're asking about. I've had it for two months now and haven't even looked at how he did it. I will say it's very possible. I'll look into it this weekend and see if I can figure it out.

1b4a190ce715d728c8d4a52233aeea4b.jpg

I found this pic which helps but im unsure of how to wire the switches in? Like how would i make it to where the tranny gets overridden it seems with this setup the tcu would still work as it normally would

You're over thinking it. Cut the power wire to solenoid 2. Install switch to wires you just cut. When switch is closed, trans operates as normal. When open, no signal goes to the solenoid so you only have first in the 1-2 position. Done.

Yeah i looked at it again and thought that would be the case, the way the diagram was written up i couldnt tell if one side was power and one was ground or if the computer sensed when to send power to each solenoid makes sense now

Back