• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 won't shift out of first gear totally stumped please help

jkrauseaz

NAXJA Forum User
Let me introduce myself my name is Jeff – I tried to solve this problem with my local club for the past few days

I have a 1989 Jeep Wrangler that we swapped a 4.0 motor into with a 98 Cheokee AW4. Over the past year so everything's been pretty cool what the functionality of that set up. Here is the issue that I have and what I've done so far to try to fix it.

Symptom:

The transmission will no longer shift out of first gear while the TCM is installed if you remove the TCM and shift manually everything checks out just perfectly.

What I've done so far:

Adjusted the kickdown cable

Verified that the TPS sensor works correctly with the voltmeter
Said screw it and just replaced the TPS

Replace the TCm with a TCm from a 1999 Cherokee with the prefix a B on the coding(I got the same no shift results out of that GPS is well leads me believe that not too can be bad so the other one must be good)

I checked all the fuses everything's A-OK

Can anyone on the forum recommend a quick and comprehensive troubleshooting guide to pinpoint this problem really want to get it fixed Kinda sucks not having a rig.

I've done hours upon hours of searching looking for a quick and easy way to Run about this we can't find anything.

I forgot to add over the past couple of weeks you had a really wrap it out in first gear that I would decide she wanted to want to did that it was your fine for the rest of the day

Before wasting time and money swapping solenoids, unplug the TCU. You should still be able to do manual shifts. If you still get only 1st. it isn't a solenoid.

There is an AW4 factory service manual out on the web and it has a ton of diagnostic info. If you can't find it, pm me and I will get you the info.

Before wasting time and money swapping solenoids, unplug the TCU. You should still be able to do manual shifts. If you still get only 1st. it isn't a solenoid.

There is an AW4 factory service manual out on the web and it has a ton of diagnostic info. If you can't find it, pm me and I will get you the info.

jkrauseaz said:
The transmission will no longer shift out of first gear while the TCM is installed if you remove the TCM and shift manually everything checks out just perfectly.

verified.

Sounds like a TCU but check the fuse anyway.

Any right way to check those suckers. Thinking if I hook a RAD shifter up i could verify the functionality right??

Here's some data you can use to test the inputs to the TCM.

You'll need a digital multimeter a few safety pins (to probe the TCM connector pin cavities).

Familiarize yourself with the connector pin out data and the test procedures before beginning the tests.

tcmpinout.jpg

TCMChecks.jpg

Back