• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Upgrading 8.25 from 27 to 29 spline

dan1977p

NAXJA Forum User
I was under the impression that upgrading from 27 to 29 spline in my 91 8.25 would only require a spider gear change or a lunchbox with 29 splines and 29 spline shafts. I got everything out and went to put a 29 spline spartan locker in and it's not even close. The part number is the same from on Rockauto for 2000 and 1991 8.25 carriers so I'm a bit confused.
Was my assumption correct or do I need a new carrier and will that 29 spline carrier fit in my 1991 housing with the same bearings?

You need a 29 spline carrier. I don't recall if the carrier bearings are different, but they probably are. The wheel bearings/seals are the same.

I've been searching all morning for just the open carrier like I was able to find for my D30 and I can't find anything that doesn't have LSD. Anyone have one lying around from a full case locker they want to offload?

Back