• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

88 Xj: Vacuum Leaks & High Idle

RAVC1

NAXJA Forum User
I found a vacuum leak the hard way...the line broke. This example occurred in one of the HVAC hard plastic lines in the engine compartment - I think it is the small diameter white tube. This is one of the lines that connects to the HVAC control on the dash.

I was able to patch this using some aluminum butt splice connectors and heat shrink tubing I have but, want to find a more permanent solution. I have been chasing a suspected vacuum leak for ~18 months and I suspect this will happen again. Now my 4L typically starts with a lower engine speed flare and it occurs over a shorter period of time during the warm weather months. Ultimately, I need to examine the entire vacuum line system when spring arrives.

What have others used to replace these hard plastic lines when they fail? I was considering buying some of the CIS fuel line at an eTailer I noticed in WI to see if it will work.

I used vacuum rubber tubing and hard plastic lines on mine to repair breaks and replace aged hose and tubing

Thanks. Not my primary choice but, I wil see what spring brings...

Regardless, I like the Nissan SD-22 and 5-Speed build!!! Exceptional idea. What are you using for tires/gears?

Thanks. Not my primary choice but, I wil see what spring brings...

Regardless, I like the Nissan SD-22 and 5-Speed build!!! Exceptional idea. What are you using for tires/gears?

All stock except the diesel engine, motor mounts, transmission, heater core LOL, and power steering. Modified drive shaft, 2WD. 34 mpg in concreted flat lands Houston.

Back