• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Axle Swap Advice

AnthonyZ28

NAXJA Forum User
Tomorrow some friends and I will be taking out the rear axle in my rig and putting another one in. The jeep came with a dana 44 from a grand cherokee that was swapped in, and were putting in a 8.25 from a 2001 xj. I have 2 questions.

Were that any modifications from swapping in the axle from the grand cherokee that would affect putting in the 8.25.

What are your recommendations on lifting the jeep to be able to get the current axle out.

We've done some axles on older chevy trucks, but have always had access to a body lift. We dont have access to one here without loading the jeep on a trailer and driving 100 miles.

The jeep is a 93 2 door with a 4 inch suspension lift. Feel free to include any other advice.

Jack up the rear of the Jeep high enough to let the axle droop completely, leaving enough room under the pumpkin for a floor jack. Put the Jeep on jack stands under the frame. Use the floor jack under the pumpkin to take the axle weight off the springs. Remove shocks, brake lines and u-bolts. Lower jack and axle, reserve order.

David Bricker / SYR

It's as basic and and easy as any leaf sprung axle swap. Unless that 44a was discs I would use the disc on the 8.25 if not it's a str8 up swap or should be for that matter.

Tomorrow some friends and I will be taking out the rear axle in my rig and putting another one in. The jeep came with a dana 44 from a grand cherokee that was swapped in, and were putting in a 8.25 from a 2001 xj. I have 2 questions.

Were that any modifications from swapping in the axle from the grand cherokee that would affect putting in the 8.25.

What are your recommendations on lifting the jeep to be able to get the current axle out.

We've done some axles on older chevy trucks, but have always had access to a body lift. We dont have access to one here without loading the jeep on a trailer and driving 100 miles.

The jeep is a 93 2 door with a 4 inch suspension lift. Feel free to include any other advice.

You did not say what Jeep you have i.e. Cherokee XJ or some other. IIRC the D44 that came in the Grand Cherokee were aluminum. In addition, the Grand Cherokee uses coil spring where as the XJ uses leaf springs. Taking an axle from of these to the other cannot be accomplished without significant changes to either the axle or the Jeep body mounting points.
All things being the same between both axles (and I am assuming both axles uses the same mounting points) then David_Bricker's instructions are right on target.

Block both sides of both front tires.

all the mounting is the identical , what size U-joints are on that 44a ...just check to make sure your 8.25 has the yoke to match your drive shaft U-joints ...because somehow I doubt the 44a pinion yoke will swap to an 8.25 ...other that brackets should all mount up stock unless there has been customn work putting in the d44 that the stock 8.25 will not match ...the ZJ d44 obviously was coil based before the swap . just s quick visual check before the day of the work so you're not caught with your pants down when stores are closed and you can buy parts .

Back