• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Notching Crossmember For Exhaust...??

You shouldn't have to notch the cross member. If your exhaust is resting to low to the cross member or actually resting on it and rattling on it like mine was its because your transmission mount is sagging and needs to be replaced.

You shouldn't have to notch the cross member. If your exhaust is resting to low to the cross member or actually resting on it and rattling on it like mine was its because your transmission mount is sagging and needs to be replaced.

Agreed. Normally I shouldn't have to. I just recently replaced my tranny mount and all was well except that the isolator above it was really ovaled out dropping the exhaust just enought to vibrate against the crossmember. I'm waiting for the isolator block to arrive so I can swap it out, but in the mean time it's driving me crazy. I have Brown Dog motor mounts so there's slightly more vibration, just enough to vibrate the exhaust.

I was concerned about weakening the crossmember, depending on how much material is removed. My XJ is stock and doesn't do any wheeling, just a DD. If strenth is an issue, maybe gusseting the crossmember might be in the cards......

This is the OE bracket for the latter MY Xj's:

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1087313

where the support bar is welded to the exhaust tube.

My early Renix Xj's we uses a 2-piece system consisting of a similar bracket & vibration isolation insert shown here. Note both isolation brackets mount to the cross member.

http://www.ausspares.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=74

This is combined with a second bracket that mounts between the down tube and the converter front end. It features a "trough" structure that firs into the isolator "smile" that is welded to the flange bracket such that is is oriented parallel to the exhaust pipe. This is the best I could do for a photo...see #14 "Support"

http://www.factorychryslerparts.com/showAssembly.aspx?ukey_assembly=660559&ukey_product=4579399

The problem is these older systems are only likely to be found at a salvage or recycling yard. This is how I obtained my spares (This is still feasible despite residing in the rust belt of the US!).

This issue has caused me grief over the years because service facilities were uninformed and they sold me several incorrect down pipes because, they were not resourceful. Once I located the OE parts (I had some at the house and lost them :yap:) I am better prepared for the future of owning 30-year old vehicles!

In summary, I really do not think you need to bend your down pipe or cut your cross member.

Good luck!

Back