• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pulling motor

98XJVA

NAXJA Forum User
About to pull 4.0 from my 98 any tips or tricks I should know about? Thanks in advance!

Welcome...
The peculiarities are based on the transmission, MT being easier.

Are you pulling just the motor or the entire driveline?
Whats your experience/tool collection like? Obviously you will need a set of inverted torx drivers, a cherry picker and patience.

What XCM said, you will need these to separate the bell housing from the block:
3482.jpg

Since I left the transmission in the Jeep, I bought longer bolts to hold the cross member. I let the cross member hang about two or three inches lower, to reach the two bolts at the top of the bell housing.

Be prepared for a fight. The top bolt on the passenger side is a beyotch. I took the motor mounts off and dropped the motor enough to get to it from the top. And since that was all that was holding it at that point the motor came out without a problem.

Label everything. I put all of the bolts in baggies with labels. Take lots of pics.

Take the radiator and header panel off, makes things alot easier

Some people love to leave as much stuff on the motor as possible, and pull it all as one giant chunk. I am not one of those ppl, I remove manifolds, a/c compressors, easy to reach engine bracketry, radiator, etc. Get it out of the way!!! I do unbolt the motor mounts from the chassis, and just lift it out with them attached to the motor.

The cheap plastic drawer bolt organizers from home depot/lowes work well for this, label them with a sharpie as you go. Much easier than plastic bags imho.

You can also drop the tail end of the transmission by pulling the cross member, unbolting the top 2 invert. torx bolts with a 2' socket extension, Then bolt the cross member back up to get the lower side bolts.

Back