• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Renix Block in late model XJ

Catch22

NAXJA Forum User
I have checked around and I think this will work but wanted to know if anyone has done it.

Has anyone taken a Renix block and put in into a late model XJ (2000-2001)

Everything else comes over from the late model XJ, only the block is being changed.
Anyone know of head mounting issues, power stearing pump or anything else?

I can't find exact information on this specific swap, only the HO head/intake to Renix.

Edit: Put this to modified as I wasn't completely sure if this would be considered OEM (despite using all OEM parts)

From what i gather he just want renix block and all his late model stuff from the head up

Yup. And on this one I would be doing a coil conversion as the 0331 head is junk anyway and install a 0630 head on with an adapter for the dual cat exhaust.

:banghead:

Yup. And on this one I would be doing a coil conversion as the 0331 head is junk anyway and install a 0630 head on with an adapter for the dual cat exhaust.

:banghead:

Sounds like you have the answer to your project. Any 4.0 xj,yj,zj,mj, and early tj block will work.

XJ Cherokee and ZJ Grand Cherokee 4.0L engine blocks interchange.

2000+ TJ Wrangler and WJ Grand Cherokee 4.0L engine blocks interchange.

XJ/ZJ blocks and 2000+ TJ/WJ blocks do not interchange without significant modifications. (1991 to 1995 YJ and 1997-1999 4.0L TJ Wrangler blocks will interchange in XJ/ZJ and visa-versa).

TJ/WJ 4.0L Engine blocks underwent clean sheet design changes effective in the 1999 WJ Grand and 2000 TJ Wrangler. These blocks are not interchangeable with XJ/ZJ engine blocks. The reason is motor mount bolt holes and belt driven accessory mounting bolt holes are in different locations, or not present at all, TJ/WJ vs. XJ/ZJ.

XJ: "Regular" (not Grand) Cherokees 84-01
ZJ: Grand Cherokee 93-98 (Gen1)
WJ: Grand Cherokee 99-04 (Gen2)
YJ: Wrangler 87-95 (Gen1)
TJ: Wrangler 97-06 (Gen2)

5-90 stated in one thread that the Renix blocks were a higher nickle content iron in the casting. I have used two Renix blocks for strokers. One is in a 00 xj, the other is currently in a Renix Jeep, but it was in a '98 tj for a few years.

Back