• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Coil Spring Issue - D44 Swap

VAhasnoWAVES

NAXJA Forum User
i am currently installing a D44 that was installed in another cherokee. in the process, i am also fabricating a 3 link and new trackbar.

the builder put a little bit of stretch into the axle that really isnt going to work with my setup. i would either have to move the steering gear box or bump stop it much more than i want to keep the drag link from coming in contact with the tie rod (axle has high steer) at full bump. i placed the axle where the steering is happy and the tire is happy in the fender, but think im going to have some issues with the coil spring bowing.

1005504_923894184331665_8714540542655273022_n.jpg

part if me says run it, and just see what happens. the other part of me says to address it now while it is easier to do. and then a tiny little bit of me says to move the gearbox and embrace the stretch...

what would NAXJA do?

Last edited:
That should be ok(tough to really tell without being there) but looks like maybe .75 of stretch which is fine. I have essential the same amount of stretch in my hp44 stretch and with the waggy pitman arm it's fine.

That should be ok(tough to really tell without being there) but looks like maybe .75 of stretch which is fine. I have essential the same amount of stretch in my hp44 stretch and with the waggy pitman arm it's fine.
just to clarify... the coil buckets are set up for a bit of stretch, and are centered over the axle tube. its a little too much for the high steer and waggy pitman arm (with the steering gear in the factory position). moving the axle back results in the picture above.

im really considering running it as it is... but i was hoping to offset my trackbar outside of the frame rail like BoostWerks did with his. the coil bowing forward may be in contact often then...

Could u run a pitman arm with less drop?

probably not. the castle nut is about half an inch from the underside of the frame rail at full lock as it is.

When set my steering up, I use the crossover setup/pass side highsteer arm so that could be why I'm not having the same problem

Back