• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Shocks for 1999 with a 4.5" Lift

linell

NAXJA Forum User
I'm purchasing a 1999 Cherokee Sport with a 4.5" lift on it next week. The current owner said that he replaced just about everything when he installed the lift kit, but that if he were keeping it he'd replace the rear shocks at some point.

I'm not the most mechanically inclined person and I'm wondering what shocks I should be looking at buying. I've heard that Bilstein 5100's are good, but will they work with the lift?

Measure your current shocks( compressed and extended length). You'll get the sizes then go to eshock.com and get the travel that's needed.

Fox has their performance series line of shocks which are direct fit onto a Cherokee. The site lists the rear shocks fitting with modifications required. The "mod"is removing a metal sleeve installed in the lower bushing which reduces the ID to a 1/2". I tapped the sleeve out, which made the ID 5/8" and installed them onto my jeep.

To answer your lift question, they sell a 3-4.5" lift shock. I verified mine would fit by removing the old shocks, flexing my jeep out and measuring the extended and compressed lengths needed and compared those to the lengths listed on the website. You could also remove the current shocks and if you know they are the correct length, measure the extended and compressed lengths and order based off those lengths.

FYI I purchased my shocks thru AllTech Motorsports. They helped me verify the shocks would fit and also valved the shocks for my application before they shipped. The ride difference is night and day.

Back