• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HAM Operators - JCROffroad antenna mount

Kokomoto

NAXJA Forum User
I have a recently purchased 2001 XJ Sport, and a recently purchased Kenwood ™-281A 2M mobile txcvr. My Amatuer Radio license is also a recent acquisition.

I've spent some time looking at antenna mounting options, and am leaning towards the CB antenna mount from JCROffroad. Shown here: http://www.jcroffroad.com/product/XJMISC/XJCB-PC.html If anyone has used one of these mounts in particular, I would appreciate a review/feedback.

My main question is, should I buy the NMO-style antenna or the UHF (stud mount) for use with this particular mounting bracket. I am concerned that the amount of mounting surface on the JCR bracket will not accommodate the wider base of the NMO mount which seems to be the preferred option for antenna mounting.

I'm willing to be schooled on the issue of other mounting options, but will not consider cutting a hole in my roof top to mount an antenna.

Thanks for the assistance and Happy New Year!

IMG_20151231_112146_zpsxjj6rdbq.jpg

The problem I had with a setup similar for my 2m/440 rig was the antenna was too short to clear the roofline. I could never get the S.W.R.s to an acceptable level. A mag. mount or the front fender mount pictured earlier are better options.

My $.02

Through the roof for the win!!

083014THunt3OPT.jpg

Sorry.

Somebody had to say it.

:explosion

I made my own mount that put the antenna there.

broke it 4 times.

Just throw a Wilson 1000 magnet mount on the roof and be done with it. Nice thing about the mag mount, you can always tuck it inside. It's a damn good antenna, this comes from a ham also.

The Aussies run their antennas out front. They can see the antenna in the brush and the hood is a good ground plane. I ran my CB antenna there for a while but recently got creative and hand fabricated a fender mount to emulate the factory radio antenna mount on the pass side.

Here is my old set-up

0312121904.jpg

Just throw a Wilson 1000 magnet mount on the roof and be done with it.
That is for 11M & 10M. Kokomoto has a 2M transceiver.

I would definitely go with an NMO mount as it opens up a lot more antenna options for 2M & 70CM vs. UHF mount.

If you are just using the radio for trail communications than any 2M antenna and mount could get you buy.

I went with a Breedlove #078 NMO roof mount (https://breedlovemounts.com/NMO_Mounts.php) for my Kenwood D710G install. The roof with a good NMO mount would be the best location. I used the same mount on my ZJ and XJ.

On the ZJ:
DSC_1498.jpg

DSC_1496.jpg

This guy has some good info: http://www.k0bg.com/antmount.html

Thanks for all the advise guys. Decided the JCR mount wasn't the best option after your responses.

Drove to Ham Radio Outlet and bought a Comet SSB5 NMO antenna and Comet RS-730 lip mount with cable. The RS-730 can be rotated from horizontal mounting to vertical, and will attach to any lip on the XJ. Lots of options from hood to tailgate. I'll post pics when the install is complete.

Back