• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

33's on 4.5 inch long arm?

poomero

NAXJA Forum User
I'm sure this has been answered but Icant find it.

Can you fit 33's on a 4.5 inch lift without trimming the fenders?

I did 35s on 2.5 inches of lift
With reasonable trimming.

BUMPSTOPS!

If you bump stop it accordingly, you can keep the tires out of the fenders with the tire size and lift you described... And it'll probably be just fine on he street. But you'll be giving up a lot of compression. if you plan to actually wheel, your going to want to do some massaging and cutting.

Rough Country 4.5" long arm with BFG 33x9.50x15 All Terrains on a '92. No rubbing and no bumpstops yet. I don't do any rock crawling, but it's my Rocky Mountain hunting vehicle so it sees some rugged terrain. Running Ford Ranger wheels which tuck in pretty close... that helps. One day I'll probably be reminded I need bumpstops the hard way. Hope not, it's a clean vehicle.

What's the sense of long travel suspension if you don't wanna trim to make it work properly

Maybe he just doesn't want to cut it up. I'm just sayin' what's been working for me for over three years with no issues in the mountains. The body on mine is so clean I don't want to cut it if it's not necessary and, so far, so good. And with the skinny tires and Ranger wheels I have full fender coverage. Not everyone's cup of tea, I know. If that's your jeep in the pic it looks great and a lot more capable than anything mine could do, but with a Lokka and a tight Traction-LOK it works for my purposes. The fact that I haven't installed proper bump stops is laziness on my part and it should be done.

What's the sense of long travel suspension if you don't wanna trim to make it work properly

This is going to be a build over a few years. The xj will be my daily driver for 3 years until its my turn for a new car. Wife gets one now. Once I get a new tow vehicle I will really wheel the jeep. Until then i will build it and use it for light duty exploration and keep the body as straight as I can. If I need to cut the fenders down the road I will but of I dont need to I wohld rather not. Build once build right I think so I am kust planning ahead for the type of stuff I will use the jeep for.

You'll have a hard time fitting 33s in the wheel well and turning without trimming. If you want to keep a stock like body do some fender flares.

I've been doing it for years. Totally uncut fenders with stock flares. Turns lock to lock. See posts 7 and 10. My God, what was I thinking!

I was cutting lugs off my 33's on very little stuff before I trimmed. Looked a little dumb too. Why go that high or that big if you don't plan on needing it for a couple years? Plenty of folks take stock vehicles hunting. You could save a bunch of cash and just put bfg a/t's and refresh your suspension vs la lift.

For you two; believe me, I ain't no kid, and I was telling the op how my Jeep is equipped and that it works well for me. And where I go, stock height would never cut it and my "non standard" (by your almighty definition) 33s keep the diffs off the rocks. I've had CJs, heavily modified early Broncos and still have a Wrangler. After more than forty years of wheeling, I kinda have an idea what I need for my uses. Then people come along and tell the op it won't work. Baffling.
I have to edit this after reading Dan's post. Dan, you definitely have a problem with reading comprehension

Last edited:
For you two; believe me, I ain't no kid, and I was telling the op how my Jeep is equipped and that it works well for me. And where I go, stock height would never cut it and my "non standard" (by your almighty definition) 33s keep the diffs off the rocks. I've had CJs, heavily modified early Broncos and still have a Wrangler. After more than forty years of wheeling, I kinda have an idea what I need for my uses. Then people come along and tell the op it won't work. Baffling.
I have to edit this after reading Dan's post. Dan, you definitely have a problem with reading comprehension

Can you explain the hostility? The OP claims "Until then i will build it and use it for light duty exploration" and I took that as hunting by accident. I've seen more than a few stock cars with very low clearance (my wife's jetta sportwagen is one of them) performing light duty exploration. I'm responding to the OP, not you.
If the OP is like me, he would like to see the money spent go to full use and limiting suspension travel to me is a waste of money. Something I didn't add in my earlier post was that it becomes quite a pain getting in and out once you go 4.5" and 33's and you start to wonder if that's worth the hassle for the next few years while you DD and most likely run fire roads. If I was in his position, I would stay short arms, run a little over stock tire (the 31's that came with rubbed on OE suspension) and bank my cash until I was ready to wheel it. Going that high opens a lot of possible issues up that I recently had to deal with that just aren't there at lower lifts and smaller tires.

33x12.50 on stock wheels with a 4.5 inch RC lifts will rub.
You need wheels with proper backspacing or you will need to trim. You still may be trimming an inner edge on the wheel well even with correct backspacing.

Back