• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

97 XJ front oil pan sweating/leaking

md21722

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all, back in the spring I resealed the bottom end when I had at the machine shop. I used Fel Pro gaskets throughout. New timing cover gasket, rear main etc. Sometime in early October after about 10,000 since the work, and just after a 3500 mile trip I saw oil was seating out what looked to be the front center oil pan bolt. There was an oil film about 2" back on the pan from this bolt. I retorqued all the bolts to 84/132 in-lbs. I checked again today and now its all the back to the deep part of the pan. Using a mirror and light I looked all around and don't see any evidence of leakage around the oil pan seal (still nice and blue). I am wondering if I should take the bolt out, smear some RTV on the flange head and see if it helps. Has anyone else had this problem before?

Well, I checked torque and the lower timing cover/oil pan bolts had backed off slightly, maybe to 80 in-lbs. I took both bolts out and only the one was wet. I can't believe 4 in-lbs would make a difference. Any ideas what's going? I put them back on with Vibratite and will see what happens. Spot checking some of the other bolts, they were all right around 84/132. I hope I don't have to drop the pan.

Back