• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Feels like something is holding the Jeep back

Ben824

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so this started last night. My 97 XJ 4x4 auto feels like something is holding it back. I put in a new engine about a month ago and its running great and has been since I put it in. I don't feel like its in the engine but maybe the transmission? The Jeep feels almost like I was pushing the brake pedal while giving it gas as well. It feels like something is dragging.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Clogged CAT?
Bad temp sensor?

Might be a dragging brake caliper. If so, one
front wheel will be much hotter than the other
after a drive.

Sometimes they get so hot they will smoke from the
burning grease. At that point it's easy to diagnose...:D

It fools the computer and screws up the mixture and timing.

The sensor doesn't appear to be bad. Though it does say it runs hot when I am in traffic but this is a new engine, new CSF 3 row radiator, new water pump, fairly new thermostat, and new fan clutch. I don't see how this thing would run hot when I had this IDENTICAL setup a few years back and it almost never crossed 200 until the last couple of years before needing to replace the radiator again and that was still running a little bit hot at a dead stop in the middle of the summer in South Georgia.

Ok so this started last night. My 97 XJ 4x4 auto feels like something is holding it back. I put in a new engine about a month ago and its running great and has been since I put it in. I don't feel like its in the engine but maybe the transmission? The Jeep feels almost like I was pushing the brake pedal while giving it gas as well. It feels like something is dragging.

Any thoughts?

Manual or automatic transmission? If there are problems there you would experience those same symptoms when starting out from a stop.

Might be a dragging brake caliper. If so, one
front wheel will be much hotter than the other
after a drive.

Sometimes they get so hot they will smoke from the
burning grease. At that point it's easy to diagnose...:D

The above statement is totally correct. I have had that happen without a drag or pull to one side.
Just because it is a CSF radiator does not mean it is all perfect. I have had two new ones go bad/overheat with less than two months of use.
A different engine could for unexplained reasons could in itself run hotter then another. The two XJ's I have owned were identical in every way parts wise with one exception, one was a 1994 and the other 1996. The 1996 run about 10 degrees or more hotter than the 1994. I give up trying to find out why.

Back