• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Is this chain shot?

Cottontail

Three-De Off-Road
NAXJA Member
Not sure if it is bad or just loose because everything is open. It's not hitting the bottom of the case, but I did find lots of metal on the magnet.

DDEFBEC9-A4AD-4256-9609-A919235350E3_zpsila7gf69.jpg

CB1AABEF-DC1F-4C26-B0EC-7A4D2BC342D5_zpsn2jx0e7f.jpg

Its hard to tell with the main shaft hanging loose, you have to push the main shaft up a little and then look at the chain. Also look at the bottom of the transfer case for ANY kind of scratch damage. I have seen some that were scalloped out, can't see anything like that on yours but the chain is blocking the spot.

As it sits in the pic, I would replace it

Yeah, for $70 and support of one of NAXJA's vendors, it made sense just to go with new before I buttoned it all back up. The bottom of the case has no damage, so I don't think the chain is that bad, but $70 is cheap insurance.

If you take it off and hold it sideways you can see how much it droops (like you would check a timing chain). That will tell you if it needs replaced.

They also make great blackjacks...

Good call to replace since it was open. That being said I hope that's wasn't the sole reason for opening the case unless you had other issues. I replaced mine in the 242 I had because it was skipping teeth in 4lo. Very stretched.

No...I'm also doing a full case SYE.

$70 seems steep for a chain, I bought a Morse last year for about $40? But as ehall indicated the mainshaft tends to hang down and to the left when its not supported... I compared the new chain to the one in my 242 and when I realized there was no stretch I sold the new chain to a forum member.

Well, better safe than sorry.

Back